Through July 20, 2019, the US Citi ThankYou program is offering a 25% bonus when you convert points into Air France-KLM Flying Blue miles. Points ordinarily convert at a 1:1 ratio, though during this promotion you can convert 1,000 Citi points into 1,250 Flying Blue miles.
There’s no limit to how often you can take advantage of this promotion, and the bonus is hard coded into the transfer ratio, meaning that you can earn the bonus on multiple transactions.
Citi ThankYou has been doing an awesome job with offering transfer bonuses lately. We saw a 30% transfer bonus from Citi to Air France-KLM Flying Blue last summer, and we just saw a 30% transfer bonus from Citi to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club end.
Should you transfer Citi points to Flying Blue?
Flying Blue nowadays has dynamic award pricing and roughly distance based award pricing. While I wouldn’t say it’s one of my favorite frequent flyer programs, it is one that I get quite a bit of use out of.
Go figure over the past several months I’ve transferred hundreds of thousands of points to Flying Blue without a transfer bonus. Flying Blue Promo Awards can be a great value, though there are lots of great uses beyond that.
One of the advantages of Flying Blue is that they make more Air France and KLM award seats available to members of their own program than to members of partner programs. So even when their pricing isn’t the best, there are situations where it could make sense to book through them.
Redeem miles for KLM’s 787 business class
Over the past several months I’ve transferred hundreds of thousands of points to Flying Blue without a transfer bonus. To give a sense of some of the tickets I’ve booked:
- I redeemed 52,000 Flying Blue miles for a one-way Air France business class ticket from Miami to Paris (plus carrier imposed surcharges)
- I redeemed 72,000 Flying Blue miles for a one-way Air Europa business class ticket from London to Madrid to Miami (without carrier imposed surcharges)
- I redeemed 85,000 Flying Blue miles for a one-way Air France business class ticket from Miami to Paris to Male (plus carrier imposed surcharges)
- I redeemed 97,500 Flying Blue miles for a one-way Air France and Middle East Airlines business class ticket from Detroit to Paris to Beirut (plus carrier imposed surcharges)
Redeem miles for Air France’s 777 business class
Want ThankYou points? Don’t forget about this great offer
This is one of the most rewarding Citi credit card for everyday spend, as it offers:
- 3x points on travel, including gas stations
- 2x points on dining & entertainment
- 1x points on all other purchases
So if you are looking for ThankYou points, the Citi Premier℠ Card is tough to beat.
There’s potentially a ton of value to be had from this promotion. That’s true regardless of whether you’re trying to redeem directly on Air France or KLM, or whether you’re trying to redeem on a SkyTeam partner, where a 25% bonus could represent an excellent value.
That being said, personally I wouldn’t speculatively transfer points to take advantage of this. The promotion is around for several weeks, and I’d only transfer points with a short term use in mind. Typically Citi ThankYou transfers to Flying Blue are instant.
Do you plan on transferring Citi points to Flying Blue with a 25% bonus?