While the card’s annual fee has increased by $100, from $450 to $550 (Rates & Fees), the card is also offering some new benefits. Perhaps most significantly, the Platinum Card now offers $200 in Uber credits annually.
Those with the Platinum Card will receive $15 in Uber credits each month, and $35 in Uber credits in December. Each credit is only valid for the month in which it’s issued and for rides in the U.S. There’s no need to actually pay for any Uber ride with the Platinum Card, but rather you’ll just have to link your accounts and then the code will automatically be added to your account.
Well, the card changes kick in today, which means that you now have access to your first $15 Uber credit, which expires on April 1, 2017.
To take advantage of this:
- Be sure that you have an American Express Platinum Card linked to your Uber account, which you can do by adding it as one of the payment options (there’s no need to actually pay with the card, though you do need to link it)
- When you go to pay for your ride, you’ll see the option of having the $15 credit applied to your ride
- Since this is a credit, it can also be combined with most promo codes, since they’re viewed differently
- Again, make sure you use the first credit within the next couple of days, because it expires on April 1, 2017
Here’s the email I received from American Express after linking my Platinum Card to my Uber account:
Your Platinum Card® is linked to your Uber account!
Here are the benefits you’ll now receive with Uber:
- $15 in Uber credits each month for rides in the US, and an extra $20 credit every December with your Platinum Card Membership. That can mean up to $200 annually in Uber savings!;
- As a Platinum Card Member, you’re also automatically enrolled in Uber VIP status with access to drivers who have earned top user ratings.
For the best experience getting these benefits, be sure to download the latest version of the Uber app.
Terms of your new benefits with Uber
Your monthly ride credits can be applied to any Uber ride in the US. However, unused Amex credits will expire on the last day of each month. Credits will be available for use on the first day of each month. It’s also important for you to know that Uber VIP status is only available in select cities.
When I first heard about the changes being made to the Platinum Card I wasn’t especially excited about them. However, I’ve already gotten $15 of value out of the Uber benefit in the first few hours this benefit has existed, and will easily be able to use the entire $200 credit annually. So the way I see it, it’s worth paying an extra $100 annual fee for $200 worth of Uber credits annually.
Anyway, if you haven’t yet linked your Amex Platinum Card to your Uber account, make sure you do it now, because the first credit expires on April 1, 2017.
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees).