American Express has been adding a variety of benefits to cards in light of evolved consumer spending patterns due to COVID-19. It looks like The Platinum Card® from American Express (review) will soon be getting yet another benefit.
Amex Platinum adding $200 Amex Travel credit
As reported by Doctor Of Credit, the Amex Platinum will be getting a $200 Amex Travel credit later this year:
- This will be valid between August 2020 and December 2021
- This will be valid for the personal version of the card only, and only for those who renew their card between April 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020
- A statement credit of up to $200 can be earned after an eligible travel purchase is made through American Express Travel
We’ll have to wait to find out all the terms, but Amex Travel is a full service travel site:
- You can book hotels through Amex Travel, though the catch is that since they’re essentially a third party agency, you usually won’t receive elite credits or benefits if you’re staying at a chain hotel
- You can book flights through Amex Travel, so hopefully this is valid for that as well
Amex Platinum also offering cell phone & streaming credits
The above new benefit complements the benefits that have already been added to the Amex Platinum, including a $20 monthly cell phone and $20 monthly streaming credit from May through December 2020. This can offer cardmembers up to $320 worth of value, which is awesome.
Frankly that was more than I was expecting them to do in the first place, so I’m quite pleased with these new perks.
In addition to the up to $40 in monthly credits already being offered for the rest of 2020, the Amex Platinum Card will also be getting a $200 Amex Travel credit this summer. The way Amex is going about this is smart, as receiving the credit will be based around renewing your card, which creates a good incentive to do so.
We’ll have to wait a bit longer to find out the exact terms of the Amex Travel credit, but hopefully it’s valid for both flights and hotels.