I’m finishing up my travels pretty early this year. Unless something comes up last minute, I doubt I’ll be flying anywhere till January. Nonetheless it has been one heck of a year. In terms of travel it has been my busiest yet. If my math is right I flew around 256,000 “butt in seat” miles and about 220 segments this year. With flying, credit cards, and promotions, I earned upwards of a million miles this year, which is by far the most yet. This was the first year where I really branched out beyond flying to earn miles and pursued credit/debit card sign-up bonuses, taking advantage of every promotion, etc.
I really don’t want to know how many redeyes I took this year (I’ll let the circles under my eyes speak for themselves), but I hated every last one of ’em, as “profitable” and time saving as they were. Every year I tell myself “there’s no way I’ll top last year’s total,” but every year I’m on the road more and more.
Anyway, there’s no better time to reflect on some of the travel highlights of 2009. If you’re a long time reader you probably remember many of them, but I figured I’d provide some links for those that are interested.
First the major trips with lengthy trip reports:
- My first trip on Cathay Pacific and JAL in first class to Hong Kong and Manila with stays at the InterContinental Grand Stanford and InterContinental Manila
- A visit to Istanbul and Hong Kong including flights in Swiss, Turkish, and Thai first class, along with a stay at the InterContinental Istanbul and spectacular InterContinental Hong Kong (views, views, views!)
- An incredible flight on British Airways’ new Club World London City service, an awesome stay at the InterContinental London Park Lane, and my first visit to London (now one of my favorite cities)
And some of my other travels with twists and turns:
- “But my friend is a Premier” (fine, that was last year but it’s still too good to leave out)
- 20+ FlyerTalkers on the same regional jet can only mean trouble….
- And the flight attendant of the year award goes to….
- And the passenger of the year award goes to….
- My stay at the Holiday Inn JFK
- Oh, and how could I forget? Bump, bump, and bump, (just a few of them, of course)
So, what’s in the books for next year? Well, unfortunately nothing yet. Other than the normal mileage runs on United, it’s too early for me to plan too much as quite a bit is still up in the air (no pun intended). Realistically I’m hoping to visit Dubai, Buenos Aires, and Dublin next year (totally random, I know), and hopefully explore a bit more of Australia beyond Sydney. My schedule for next year should firm up a bit within the next few weeks so that I can start planning travel. I’m all for earning and burning, and I’ve just been doing lots more earning than burning lately!
Would love to hear about your travel and mileage year. Good thanks to all the promotions? Bad due to the economy and cutbacks at work?