Several days ago I wrote about the great promotion Amazon is running. Essentially you can get 20% off at Amazon if you redeem at least one Membership Rewards point towards the cost of your purchase.
You’re limited to saving $100, meaning that if you purchase $500 worth of stuff and redeem one Amex Membership Rewards point towards the purchase, you’d end up paying only $399.99.
That’s a pretty incredible value given that you can buy just about anything on Amazon. For many of us, money saved on Amazon is the same thing as free money.
Given what a popular promotion this has been, I wanted to provide a quick update on the status of the promotion, since I’ve been getting some questions about whether this promotion is still available:
- You can activate the 20% off offer at this link
- As of now it’s no longer possible to buy Amazon gift cards with the offer, though it is possible to buy third party gift cards, including Starbucks, Lyft, Uber, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Hotels.com, Whole Foods, and iTunes, just to give some examples
- You don’t have to use the entire $100 discount in one transaction, but rather can use it over multiple transactions if you’d like (so you could make two $250 purchases, and save $50 on each, for example); just redeem one Amex Membership Rewards point with each purchase
- If you took advantage of this promotion during the first day it was live, it should be possible to take advantage of it again, though you’ll have to activate the offer again
- When you take advantage of this offer, make sure you redeem just one Membership Rewards point; it’s easy to accidentally redeem Amex points for the entire purchase by mistake, which would be a terrible value
- Some reported not being able to register when the offer first started but having luck more recently, so it’s worth checking again to see if you’re eligible
- If you’re having issues registering, make sure that a Membership Rewards card is the primary card you have on file on your Amex account
So yeah, this promotion is still going strong if you haven’t taken advantage of it yet. Whether you’re looking to purchase a discounted third party gift card from Amazon, or just looking to purchase an actual item you’ve been eyeing for a while, this is a great opportunity to get 20% off that purchase.