Amazon and American Express frequently offer targeted promotions that can save you money on an Amazon purchase by redeeming a single Membership Rewards point (there are similar promotions with Chase).
We see these promotions every so often, and the latest such offer has just been introduced, as flagged by Doctor Of Credit. I wanted to go over the details of that, as it’s an easy way to save money.
Save on Amazon by redeeming Amex points
Thanks to a targeted promotion from American Express and Amazon, it’s possible to save on Amazon purchases by redeeming a single Membership Rewards point. This new promotion has just been introduced, and it seems that even those who were targeted during the last promotion (which just ended) may still be eligible for this one.
There are a couple of different offers, and you’ll want to check this link to see which offer your account is eligible for, if any. The offers seem to include the following (and if there are any I’m missing, please let me know!):
- Get 10% off on up to $100 of spending (redeem at least one Amex Membership Rewards point)
- Get 30% off on up to $100 of spending (redeem at least one Amex Membership Rewards point)
Obviously the 30% off promotion is much better than the 10% off promotion, but either is better than nothing, right?
There are a few things to be aware of with this promotion:
- Check to see if you’re eligible for an offer by clicking the “Activate now” button at this link; note that to be eligible you’ll have to have a card earning Amex Membership Rewards points linked to your account, so if you don’t have that, add one
- This promotion is available through September 30, 2023, or until 48,750 people have redeemed this offer, so you’ll want to use this ASAP
- This offer is only available for products shipped by Amazon.com; products fulfilled through third parties won’t qualify, even if they’re “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime eligible”
- You can take advantage of this promotion at most one time
Step-by-step guide to using this offer
Want to take advantage of one of these promotions? There are a few simple steps. First of all, you’ll want to activate whichever offer you’re eligible for at this link. If you are eligible, you’ll see a green message stating “this promo code is now activated and your points will be applied at checkout.”
Then go through the shopping process as you usually would, keeping in mind the limitations and restrictions of the offer.
For example, my account was eligible for the 10% off promotion, so I added a $100 Uber gift card to my shopping cart.
I then proceeded to checkout, and under the “payment method” section, I selected one of my cards that earns Amex Membership Rewards points. There you’ll see an option to select how many points you want to apply toward a purchase.
The catch is that redeeming Amex points toward an Amazon purchase isn’t a good deal, as you ordinarily get just 0.7 cents of value per point, and I value Amex points at 1.7 cents each. So what you’ll want to do is to redeem as few points as possible.
For these offers, you’ll want to redeem a single point, so you should type “$0.01” in the box.
Then when you click “use this payment method,” you’ll see the discount applied.
If you don’t have an immediate need to buy something on Amazon but are eligible, I’d still recommend taking advantage of this, especially if you’re eligible for a discount of 40-50%. There are all kinds of gift card purchases this can be applied toward, for companies like Apple, DoorDash, Southwest Airlines, Starbucks, Uber, Uber Eats, Whole Foods, etc.
There’s currently a promotion for redeeming Amex points through Amazon. There are different offers, and you can save anywhere from 10-30%, depending on what you’re eligible for. This is a great deal, so check to see if you’re eligible, and if so, I’d recommend taking advantage ASAP.
Were you targeted for one of these Amex deals with Amazon, and if so, do you plan on taking advantage of them?