Etihad Guest seems to frequently offer targeted status matches, though through March 15, 2015, they’re offering a more widely available status match opportunity.
The status match opportunity is open to those with “gold cards” in other frequent flyer programs, aside from those that belong to the Etihad Airways group (Aer Lingus, airberlin, Air Serbia, Air Seychelles, Alitalia, Jet Airways). I’m not sure whether they’re talking about “gold” tier equivalent (like top tier status in other programs), or any card which is simply “gold” (in which case American’s lowest tier status would qualify).
The benefits of Etihad Gold aren’t especially rich, at least compared to what we’re used to in the US. The benefits are as follows:
- 50% Extra Bonus Miles – Enjoy 50% additional Etihad guest miles in every flight you take on Etihad Airways
- Extra Baggage Allowance – Enjoy 15 kilos additional baggage allowance on all applicable flights*
- Enhanced Lounge Access – You and a guest are invited to enjoy our luxurious Business Class Lounges before you fly across our network
- Guaranteed seats – If you make a booking at least 24 hours in advance, we will guarantee you an Economy Class seat on an Etihad Airways flight of your choice – even if the flight is fully booked.
- Fast-Track Access – Upon arrival at your destination, skip the queue at border control to enjoy a speedy exit*
Receive lounge access as an Etihad Guest Gold member
That doesn’t stop them from thinking that their program is so good that once you try it nothing else will do:
Why this sudden generosity?
Because we’re confident that once you upgrade to Etihad Guest Gold, no other loyalty programme will do.
Here’s the straightforward process for submitting for a status match:
- Existing Etihad Guest members: Send us a scanned copy of your Gold card with another airline loyalty programme, copy of your latest miles statement along with your Etihad Guest membership number to [email protected]
- Non-Etihad Guest members: Send us a scanned copy of your Gold card with another airline loyalty programme, copy of your latest miles statement along with your full name, email ID, date of birth, physical address and telephone number to [email protected]
Then you should receive a confirmation email within two weeks, and your membership card will be sent to you within a month. While the terms don’t state how long the status match is valid, my guess is that it’ll be valid through the end of the year.
If they made guaranteed food in first class a Gold benefit I might be tempted to status match. 😉 In all honesty, there is something to be said for the better “soft” treatment you receive on the Middle Eastern carriers as an elite member, so it might be worth status matching if you have upcoming travel on Etihad.
Etihad first class is one of my favorite offices in the world!
The full terms of the promotion are as follows:
Only a limited number of Gold cards will be issued and Etihad Guest reserves the right to select the successful applicants. All applications should be received before 15 March 2015. This tier match promotion does not extend to members of the frequent flyer programmmes of Etihad Airways Partners (Air Lingus, airberlin, Air Serbia, Air Seychelles, Alitalia, Jet Airways) & Virgin Australia. Only gold cards with airline loyalty programmes will be considered. If the requested documents are not clear or in case of incomplete personal details your application will not be processed. Any decision towards acceptance/rejection of any application received remains exclusively with Etihad Guest. This offer is for existing Etihad Guest base, silver and non-Etihad Guest members. Current Etihad Guest miles balance for existing base, silver members will be carried forward at the time of upgrade to Etihad Guest Gold. Etihad Guest reserves the right to withdraw this promotion at any time without any prior notice.
So, who’s status matching?
(Tip of the hat to Gary)