Plaza Premium operates lounges around the world, and as far as contract/third party lounges go, I find that they’re among the better ones out there.
In early 2017 I wrote about how Plaza Premium launched a loyalty program, called Arrture. Well, the program has now been refreshed, and is now called Smart Traveller. So let’s look at the details of the new program. But first a bit about how to access Plaza Premium Lounges.
How To Access Plaza Premium Lounges
There are a variety of ways to access Plaza Premium Lounges:
- Using a Priority Pass membership, which is available through many premium credit cards
- Using The Platinum Card® from American Express (review) or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (review), so these directly come with Plaza Premium Lounge access
- Some airlines use these as contract lounges for their premium passengers
- You can typically buy access to Plaza Premium Lounges, either through their website, or directly at the lounge
Plaza Premium Lounge Toronto
Plaza Premium Smart Traveller
Plaza Premium’s Arrture program has been rebranded as Smart Traveller. It offers rewards every time you visit a Plaza Premium facility, even if you aren’t paying cash out of pocket for lounge entry. That’s right, even visiting with the Amex Platinum or a Priority Pass membership could earn you rewards!
Earning Points With Smart Traveller
With this program, you earn 100 points every time you visit a Plaza Premium location, regardless of how you enter. So even if you’re entering based on an airline invitation, you can still collect points. Just make sure you show the agent your app when you check-in so that your account can be credited.
For a limited time, you can even do better than that. If you download the Smart Traveller app (available for Android and iOS) by February 29, 2020, you can earn:
- 200 bonus points just for downloading the app and signing up, assuming you’re a new member
- Earn double points for a lounge visit during the promotion period, meaning you’d earn 200 points rather than 100 points
Plaza Premium Lounge London Heathrow Terminal 2
Redeeming Points With Smart Traveller
When it comes to redeeming points, you have several options, all of which you can find in the app through the marketplace. If you’re looking to redeem points for lounge access, these are your options:
- Redeem 1,500 points to upgrade to the Plaza Premium First Lounge Hong Kong, when you otherwise have access to the Plaza Premium Lounge (I visited this lounge recently, and it’s excellent — it usually comes with a 250 HKD/32 USD co-pay)
- Redeem 1,800 points for a one hour visit to a Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge at Heathrow, which includes a shower
- Redeem 2,500 points for a three-hour visit to a participating Plaza Premium Lounge
- Redeem 4,000 points for a three-hour visit to the Plaza Premium First Lounge Hong Kong
- Redeem 4,000 points for a three-hour booking in a nap room at a participating Plaza Premium Lounge
Alternatively, you can redeem for a few non-lounge rewards, including:
- Redeem 450-490 points for Root98 Grab & Go items at Hong Kong Airport, including coffee, fruit salad, soup, and more
- Redeem 1,800 points for a travel adaptor
These rewards aren’t life changing, but when you consider that you can earn points even when you’re not directly paying for a visit, there’s no reason not to participate.
Plaza Premium First Lounge Hong Kong
With this program, points never expire as long as there’s some qualifying activity at least once every 12 months. That seems like a fair policy to me.
While this program isn’t that lucrative, there’s no reason not to sign-up. Even taking the current bonus out of the equation, after 15 visits you’d get a free upgrade to the Plaza Premium First Lounge Hong Kong, or after 18 visits you’d get a free travel adaptor.
(Tip of the hat to Executive Traveller)