Peninsula has just announced a series of positive initiatives, the most significant of which is the introduction of the world’s most generous check-in and check-out policy.
For those of you not familiar with Peninsula, the luxury hotel group has properties in 10 cities, including Bangkok, Beijing, Beverly Hills, Chicago, Hong Kong, Manila, New York, Paris, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The new “Peninsula Time” initiative
As of January 2021, all Peninsula properties will introduce “Peninsula Time,” offering an extended and flexible schedule for check-ins and check-outs. The policy almost seems too good to be true:
- Guests can arrange to have their room ready as early as 6AM on their arrival date
- Guests can stay in their room as late as 10PM on their departure date
- There’s no additional cost for this, and no elite status required; you just have to book direct or through a travel advisor to take advantage of this
A one night stay can last up to 40 hours with Peninsula
Is this benefit too good to be true?
The “Peninsula Time” concept truly is an unheard of policy in the hotel industry, as you could make a one night stay where you check-in at 6AM and check-out at 10PM the next day.
Even looking at all of the major hotel loyalty programs and luxury hotel programs available through travel agents, generally the best you’ll get is early check-in subject to availability, and guaranteed late check-out at 4PM.
I guess the first question is whether this Peninsula policy is actually guaranteed, or subject to availability?
- The press release and terms don’t explicitly mention that this is guaranteed, though they also don’t explicitly mention that it’s subject to availability
- The reality is that for the next couple of years it’s highly unlikely hotels will be running 100% occupancy, so this should be easy enough for Peninsula to deliver on
- In fairness, Peninsula had already been offering this benefit at the Peninsula Beverly Hills for a couple of years during the best of times, and that seemed to work
It’ll be interesting to see if this perk evolves over time. It certainly could be a reason to choose Peninsula over a competitor, especially if you have a flight arriving early in the morning, or a flight departing late at night.
Use this benefit at the iconic Peninsula Hong Kong
As of January 2021, all 10 Peninsula properties will be offering 6AM check-in and 10PM check-out, which is otherwise unheard of. This is by far the world’s most generous check-in and check-out policy of any hotel group, and it could be a reason to consider Peninsula, especially for a short stay.
Something tells me other hotel groups won’t be matching this perk.
What do you make of the “Peninsula Time” concept?