A few times per year, the airlines participating in the oneworld transatlantic joint venture seem to offer bonus miles for paid transatlantic premium cabin travel. For example, a few months ago they offered up to 25,000 bonus miles per roundtrip.
American AAdvantage and British Airways Executive Club are back with one of these offers again, offering up to 125,000 bonus miles for transatlantic travel:
Through this promotion they’re offering 20,000 bonus miles after your first roundtrip, 40,000 bonus miles after your second roundtrip, and 65,000 bonus miles after your third roundtrip, for a total of up to 125,000 bonus miles.
The terms of the promotion are quite similar, regardless of which frequent flyer program you prefer to earn bonus miles with:
- You must have a mileage account registered in the United States or Canada
- The promotion is valid for roundtrip travel between the US/Canada and Europe (the AAdvantage version of the offer also includes travel originating in Mexico)
- The British Airways version of the promotion is only valid for bookings made between September 23, 2014, and January 10, 2015, while previously booked travel qualifies for the American version of the promotion.
- Registration is required prior to travel, between September 23, 2014, and January 10, 2015 (register here for AAdvantage offer and here for Executive Club offer)
- Valid for roundtrip travel on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, OpenSkies, and US Airways
- Bonus miles should be credited to your frequent flyer account within four to six weeks of travel
As far as eligible fare classes go, you have to book in one of the following fare classes in order to qualify for the promotion:
- On British Airways operated flights, includes fares booked in First class or Club World business class: F, A, J, C, D, R, or I
- On American Airlines operated flights, includes fares booked in First class or Business class: F, A, P, J, R, D, or I
- On Finnair operated flights, includes fares booked in Business class: J, C, D, or I
- On Iberia operated flights, includes fares booked in Business class: J, C, D, R, or I
- On OpenSkies operated flights, includes fares booked in Biz Bed/Business: J, C, D, R, or I
- On US Airways operated flights, includes fares booked in Business class: C, D, or Z
While I don’t see any amazing business class fares at the moment, just a couple of days ago there were transatlantic business class fares for ~$1,500. So if you were to book three roundtrip flights for $4,500 you would have racked up over 200,000 AAdvantage miles as an Executive Platinum crediting to American (factoring in the 125,000 bonus miles, 100% elite bonus, and class of service bonus). While that’s not really mileage run worthy, that’s a heck of a value for three tickets in transatlantic business class.
Put another way, if you do three roundtrips, you’re earning ~42,000 bonus miles per roundtrip. If you value AAdvantage miles at ~1.8 cents each, that’s like a further ~$750 discount off any ticket.
I’ll be looking for discounted transatlantic business class tickets like a hawk now…
Anyone else tempted to take advantage of this offer in conjunction with a good transatlantic business class fare?