Unlike most other major hotel loyalty programs, Marriott Bonvoy isn’t currently offering a global promotion (but there is one coming soon). The latest Bonvoy promotion ended on November 10, 2020, and we haven’t yet learned when Marriott’s next promotion will launch.
However, Marriott Bonvoy is rolling out some targeted offers for members, so it’s worth checking your account. I saw some people mention they got offers in the past couple of weeks. I got nothing until today, and I’m thrilled with the offer I just got.
My targeted Marriott Bonvoy promotion
Marriott Bonvoy has been offering targeted promotions on and off for years. Members are typically emailed about these offers (with the subject line stating what the offer is), though you can also always go to the promotion central page of your Bonvoy account to see what you’re eligible for.
The offer I’m eligible for is awesome, and offers up to 22,500 Bonvoy points:
- Earn 7,500 bonus Bonvoy points after your first stay
- Earn 15,000 bonus Bonvoy points after your second stay
- I value Bonvoy points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me that’s $52.50 worth of points after the first stay, and $105 worth of points after the second stay
As far as the terms of the offer go:
- The promotion is valid for the month in which you register, and two additional calendar months
- You have to register within three weeks of receiving the offer; in other words, it could make sense to wait until January to register, so that you can complete stays through the end of March, rather than through the end of February
- Bonus points will be awarded within three to five days of an eligible stay
- Award nights don’t count towards this promotion
While this promotion doesn’t scale, it’s incredibly generous for completing just two stays. You might even come out ahead if you are making a one night stay at an inexpensive property.
I can earn up to 22,500 bonus Bonvoy points with my offer
What other targeted Marriott Bonvoy offers are there?
Online I see that members report a few other targeted offers, including:
- Up to two free night certificates valid at properties costing up to 35,000 points per night — one certificate after one stay, and another after a second stay
- Up to 12,000 bonus points after two eligible stays — 4,500 bonus points after the first stay, 7,500 bonus points after the second stay
- Up to 18,000 bonus points after three eligible stays that include a weekend night — 4,000 bonus points after the first stay, 6,000 bonus points after the second stay, 8,000 bonus points after the third stay
- Up to 22,500 bonus points after three eligible stays — 6,000 bonus points after the first stay, 7,500 bonus points after the second stay, 9,000 bonus points after the third stay
To be clear, you can’t choose which offer you get. You’re targeted for an offer, and you can either take advantage of it or not.
Some members can earn a free night after just one stay
How does Marriott Bonvoy target members for promotions?
Loyalty programs are consistently tight-lipped about how they go about targeting members for promotions. Generally speaking targeted promotions are designed to encourage incremental business.
Unfortunately this means that the best customers often get the worst offers. After all, if a loyalty program feels like they don’t need to incentivize you, you may not get an offer. Meanwhile those who haven’t made a stay in a while might be those who can be swayed with a promotion like this.
As a Bonvoy Titanium member I’m very happy with my offer, and I’d guess I received it because I’ve made a single stay with Marriott in the past five months.
I’ll try to take advantage of this Marriott Bonvoy offer
While Marriott Bonvoy isn’t currently offering a global promotion, the program is offering some targeted promotions on a reasonably widespread basis. Make sure you keep an eye on your email and your Bonvoy account to see if you’re targeted for anything good.
Were you targeted for a promotion with Marriott Bonvoy, and if so, will you benefit from it?