While World of Hyatt will almost never extend the expiration date of these certificates, it might be possible to get some bonus points in exchange for expired certificates. In this post I wanted to share my recent experience with this.
Hyatt may offer points for expired free night awards
World of Hyatt issues both Category 1-4 and Category 1-7 free night awards. The expiration dates vary based on how they’re issued. Historically Hyatt has sometimes offered bonus points upon request if you have an expired free night award:
- An expired Category 1-4 free night award may get you 10,000 bonus points; for context, a Category 4 property in peak season would cost you 18,000 points per night
- An expired Category 1-7 free night award may get you 20,000 bonus points; for context, a Category 7 property in peak season would cost you 35,000 points per night
Now, a few important points to clarify:
- This is not a published policy, but rather a courtesy, so you can’t count on this being offered
- The certificate needs to expire before you can request the points; Hyatt almost never commits to offering points in advance, so you generally won’t even get an assurance that you’ll be offered this, meaning it’s a big gamble
- When it comes to Category 1-4 free night awards, historically those issued through the Hyatt Milestone Rewards program are eligible for this courtesy, while those issued with a Hyatt credit card aren’t eligible for this courtesy
- The points courtesy is generally only offered for expired free night awards, and not for expired club access awards or expired suite upgrade awards; in 2021 we saw some people issued points for those, but I haven’t otherwise seen many successful data points on that
My recent experience with an expired Hyatt award
I recently had a Category 1-4 free night award expire. It was totally my fault, but by the time I realized that it was about to expire, I didn’t have a good use for it anymore. So after it expired, I shot off an email to My Hyatt Concierge. I wrote the following:
I had a Category 1-4 free night award expire recently, that I forgot to use. I know Hyatt isn’t doing extensions on these nowadays, but is there any way to get a points conversion offer? I’ve heard that has been possible in the past, but it’s not something I’ve ever requested. Thanks in advance if there’s anything you can do!
Someone responded in place of my usual representative within a couple of days, and wrote the following:
The Terms and Conditions does not include any compensation for expired awards. However, as a Globalist we do value your membership and after reviewing the award and your account I have issued 10,000 World of Hyatt points in lieu of the award.
Sure enough the points posted to my account right away. Woot!
So this seems to still be working, at least for some, which is great. If you aren’t part of the My Hyatt Concierge program but have an expired award, you can alternatively call World of Hyatt customer service, use the live chat feature in the World of Hyatt app, or contact Hyatt on Twitter.
While World of Hyatt generally won’t extend free night awards, the program seems to continue to be offering 10,000 to 20,000 bonus points for expired free night awards. Again, this isn’t a published policy, so don’t count on it always working, but I figured I’d share my recent data point, for anyone else who may find themselves in a similar situation.
If you do want to see if you can get points, just keep in mind you can only make the request after the certificate has been expired. That’s obviously risky if you could otherwise find a use for the certificate.
Any OMAAT readers have recent experience with getting points for expired World of Hyatt awards?