In May 2019, Hilton and Lyft launched a partnership. It’s always great to see when ride-sharing apps develop relationships with other travel providers. It’s a natural connection, given that frequent travelers probably use ride-sharing apps more than the average person.
While the ability to earn Hilton points for Lyft rides was launched back in May, they’ve now added the functionality to redeem Hilton points for Lyft rides… but is it worth it?
Earning Hilton Points For Lyft Rides
With this partnership you can earn Hilton Honors points for your Lyft rides, which has now been possible for several months. Those who link their Hilton Honors and Lyft accounts at hiltonhonorslyft.com will automatically earn points whenever they take a Lyft ride. The earnings structure is as follows:
- Earn three Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft rides
- Earn two Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft shared rides
- You can earn points for up to $10,000 of Lyft spend per year
Points should post within 24 hours of an eligible ride.
Personally, I value Hilton Honors points at ~0.5 cents each, so to me this is the equivalent of a 1.5% return on most Lyft rides and a 1% return on shared rides.
Redeeming Hilton Points For Lyft Rides
We’ve known since this partnership was announced that they’d eventually introduce the functionality to redeem Hilton Honors points for Lyft rides, and that’s now live.
The bad news is that it’s not a good deal… at all. You can redeem Honors points for Lyft credits in certain denominations, and no matter which one you choose, you’re paying about 4.5 Honors points per cent of Lyft credit.
That means you’re getting ~0.22 cents of value per Hilton point using this method, which is a bit less than half of my valuation of Hilton points. So I wouldn’t recommend redeeming this way.
Other Opportunities To Earn Points With Lyft
While this partnership represents the first of its kind between Lyft and a hotel group, this isn’t the first opportunity to earn loyalty points for Lyft rides, as Lyft also partners with some airlines.
For example, you can earn 2x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on US airport rides, and 1x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on all other US rides.
What’s interesting is that there’s nothing in the terms restricting you from taking advantage of multiple partnerships, so you should be able to earn Delta miles and Hilton points from the same ride, for example.
Even looking at these partnerships independently, personally I think the Hilton one is the most well rounded, given that it’s not restricted to US rides, and given the earnings rates.
Best Credit Cards For Lyft Rides
When you’re paying for your Lyft rides, make sure you use a card offering bonus points on ride sharing or travel.
The best personal cards for this include:
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve® (review) offers 3x points on travel
- The American Express® Green Card (review) offers 3x points on travel
- The Citi Premier℠ Card offers 3x points on travel
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (review) offers 2x points on travel
- The World of Hyatt Credit Card (review) offers 2x points on ride-sharing
The best business cards for this include:
- The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card (review) offers 3x points on travel (on the first $150,000 in combined purchases every anniversary year)
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (review) offers 2x points on the first $50,000 spent every calendar year
I’m a big fan of the partnership between Hilton and Lyft, which is an opportunity to earn up to 30,000 Honors bonus points per year.
While the opportunity to redeem Hilton points for Lyft rides might sound tempting, I’d highly recommend against doing it. You can get better value with your Honors points for hotel stays.
Have you used the Lyft & Hilton partnership yet?