In mid-May we learned that American Express is acquiring Resy, which seemed like an unconventional acquisition. For those of you not familiar with Resy, it’s a digital restaurant reservation booking and management platform.
American Express explained that their acquisition of Resy builds on their growing suite of digital services that extend beyond traditional rewards and points, to provide card members access to more types of things.
I’ve been curious to find out when we’d see the first signs of this acquisition that benefit members. At the beginning of the month we learned about the first cool promotion between the two companies, and it’s now live.
American Express card members can earn bonus points for dining out with Resy reservations:
- This is only valid for bookings made and completed between August 15 and September 30, 2019, at any Resy restaurant in the US
- You can earn 500 bonus Membership Rewards points every time you dine out, up to three times
- You’ll have to make your reservation(s) on resy.com or the Resy app
- You have to add your American Express Membership Rewards enrolled card to your Resy wallet before you dine
- Bonus points will post 8-12 weeks after the end of the promotion
As you can see, there’s no need to register, though you do have to add your Amex card to your Resy profile. Here’s how you do that:
- Sign in to your Resy account, via the Resy app or Resy.com
- Go to your profile (select Settings if using the Resy app)
- Click into the “Payment” section
- Click “Add credit card”
- Enter your eligible American Express Card information
There’s nothing in the terms that states you actually have to pay for your stay with an Amex card, but rather the terms only indicate that you need to have an eligible Amex card attached to your Resy wallet for the duration of the campaign.
If you are going to use an Amex card for dining, I highly recommend using the American Express® Gold Card, which offers 4x points on dining globally. It’s by far the best American Express card for dining.
Hopefully Amex rolls out some sort of permanent points earning feature for Resy bookings.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this Amex & Resy promotion?