Delta owns a bit over a third of Aeromexico, and the two airlines also have a joint venture for flights between the US and Mexico. One thing Delta does really well is offer reciprocal benefits when flying with their joint venture partners:
- Since May 2017, Delta SkyMiles Medallion members have been entitled to complimentary upgrades on select Aeromexico flights, though the upgrades only cleared at the gate
- Since October 2017, Delta SkyMiles Platinum & Diamond members have been able to redeem their Regional & Global Upgrades for select flights on Aeromexico
Delta has just made a further improvement to how upgrades on Aeromexico work, and that’s great.
Delta SkyMiles Medallion members can now receive complimentary upgrades before their departure date on Aeromexico flights, rather than just at the gate.
Upgrades will start clearing at the following windows:
- For Diamond and Platinum Medallion members, complimentary upgrades will clear beginning 120 hours (5 days) prior to departure
- For Gold Medallion members, complimentary upgrades will clear beginning 72 hours (3 days) prior to departure
- For Silver Medallion members, complimentary upgrades will clear beginning 24 hours (1 day) prior to departure
If the upgrade doesn’t clear in advance, Medallion members are eligible for an upgrade at the departure gate if they request to be added to the upgrade standby list during the check-in process.
There are some other logistics to be aware of:
- Elite members can also upgrade one companion on the same reservation, though they have to add their SkyMiles number to the reservation as well (even if they don’t have status)
- Medallion members are eligible for complimentary upgrades on all intra-Mexico flights, as well as flights between Mexico and the US, Central America, the Caribbean, Colombia, and Ecuador
- Basic economy fares aren’t eligible for upgrades, while award tickets are
- In order to automatically be added to the upgrade list, make sure you add your Medallion number ot the reservation when you make your booking
This is a very nice improvement to the upgrade process for Delta elites on Aeromexico. While upgrades at the gate are better than nothing, being able to clear an upgrade several days out is much better. I’m not sure I would have booked Aeromexico economy as a Delta elite with only the chance of an upgrade at the gate, but this makes it much more appealing.
Have any Delta elites taken advantage of upgrades on Aeromexico? What was your experience like?