Historically World of Hyatt has offered a discount on summer award stays. That promotion is returning this summer, though unfortunately with some major restrictions.
Save 25% on select World of Hyatt awards
World of Hyatt is offering 25% back in bonus points for qualifying award redemptions this summer, but only for those with the World of Hyatt Credit Card (review), and only for stays at Hyatt’s managed independent hotel brands:
- This is valid for stays at JdV by Hyatt, Destination by Hyatt, and The Unbound Collection by Hyatt
- You must register between June 1 and August 20, 2021
- You must stay between June 15 and September 15, 2021, though it’s fine if your stay was previously booked
- Members can receive 25% back for free night awards, Points + Cash stays, room upgrades, dining, and spa services
- Members can receive up to 30,000 World of Hyatt points back per stay (which you’d get when redeeming 120,000 points)
- You need to have the full points for a World of Hyatt redemption upfront, and then the 25% bonus points refund will post six to eight weeks after an eligible stay is completed
- This is only valid for those with a co-branded credit card, and not for other World of Hyatt members
It goes without saying that if you have any upcoming stays at these Hyatt brands, this could be a fantastic promotion, and it could even be worth moving around some hotel stays to take advantage of this.
This isn’t as generous as past promotions
While this is ultimately a solid promotion, unfortunately it’s not as generous as some of the past redemption promotions we’ve seen from World of Hyatt. For the past several years, World of Hyatt has offered discounts for all award stays over the summer months. Generally we’ve seen a 15% discount for all World of Hyatt members, and a 25% discount for those with a co-branded credit card.
As you can tell, this promotion is significantly less generous — only those with co-branded credit cards are eligible, and only stays at three brands qualify for the promotion.
I guess it’s not surprising to see Hyatt not bring back the promotion for all properties:
- The United States is Hyatt’s biggest market
- Domestic travel in the United States will be in very high demand this summer
- World of Hyatt’s reimbursement rates to hotels for free night redemptions are based on occupancy rates (meaning that the program pays more if a hotel is full), and hotels are likely to be packed this summer
- As a result, I imagine World of Hyatt is already expecting hotel reimbursement rates associated with award stays to be quite high this summer
So it’s disappointing to not see a return of the typical promotion, though I suppose also not surprising.
World of Hyatt will be offering those with the World of Hyatt Credit Card a 25% discount for award stays this summer at select independent Hyatt brands. This has the potential to be a good deal for redemptions, though the brand restrictions will limit the usefulness of this for most.
Personally I’m not sure I’ll get any value out of this, and I’m sad to not see the typical 25% discount on award stays for all brands.
What do you make of World of Hyatt’s new summer award sale?