Link: Apply now for the Alaska Airlines Visa® credit card
We’ve just seen a huge new limited time welcome offer rolled out on the Alaska Airlines Visa® credit card (review), which coincides with the card getting new benefits. If you don’t yet have this card and are eligible, you absolutely should apply with this offer.
Earn 70K Alaska miles plus a companion fare
The Alaska Airlines Visa Card is offering the following improved bonus after spending $3,000 within the first 90 days of account opening (note that while this offer is marketed as being limited time, the end date hasn’t been published):
- 70,000 Alaska Mileage Plan miles
- An Alaska companion fare from $122 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $23)
Historically the bonus on the card has regularly been 40,000 miles, so this bonus is 75% bigger than that. This is a huge bonus, and one of the best offers I ever recall seeing on the card.
Personally I value Alaska miles at 1.7 cents each, given all the great uses of Alaska Mileage Plan miles. That means the 70,000 miles are worth $1,190 to me. That doesn’t even account for the value of the Alaska companion fare.
If you’re considering applying for this card, note that the welcome bonus isn’t available to those who currently have this exact card, or those who have had this exact card in the past 24 months. Eligibility for this card is independent of whether you have the Alaska Airlines Visa® Business card (review).
Why the Alaska Airlines Visa Card is worth it
Beyond the excellent bonus, there are multiple reasons to get the $95 annual fee Alaska Airlines Visa Card, especially with the card’s benefits having recently been overhauled. Among other things, the card offers the following:
- A companion fare from $122 ($99 fare plus taxes and fees from $23) on your account anniversary every year after spending $6,000 on the card in the prior anniversary year; this is in addition to the companion fare offered as part of the bonus
- 3x Mileage Plan miles on Alaska Airlines purchases, 2x Mileage Plan miles on gas, local transit (including ride share), cable, and select streaming services, and 1x Mileage Plan miles on all other purchases, all with no foreign transaction fees
- A 10% rewards bonus on all miles earned from purchases if you have an eligible Bank of America account
- A first checked bag free on Alaska Airlines flights for the card member and up to six companions on the same reservation when paying with the card; this also applies to authorized users (which you can add at no cost), as long as the card is used to pay for the ticket, even when not traveling with the primary card member
- Priority boarding on Alaska Airlines flights for the card member and up to six companions on the same reservation when paying with the card; this also applies to authorized users (which you can add at no cost), as long as the card is used to pay for the ticket, even when not traveling with the primary card member
- 20% savings on inflight purchases of food, drinks, and Wi-Fi, when paying with your card
- $100 off an Alaska Lounge+ membership annually when you purchase the membership with your card
If you fly Alaska Airlines with any frequency, then having this card should be a no-brainer. The benefits really add up, between the companion fare, the first checked bag free, priority boarding, savings on inflight purchases, and more.
The Alaska Airlines Visa Card is offering an exceptional welcome bonus that consists of 70,000 Mileage Plan miles plus a companion fare. If you’re eligible for the card, I’d highly recommend applying with this offer, given all the great uses of Alaska miles.
The card has also recently been refreshed, and now has a more compelling rewards structure, priority boarding and a first checked bag free (including for authorized users), and much more. Unfortunately there’s now also a spending requirement to unlock the companion fare on an ongoing basis.
Are you picking up an Alaska Airlines credit card with a limited time bonus?