Choice Privileges has just revealed the details of its new promotion for fall stays, which is very similar to the promotion it offered for summer stays.
Choice promo: earn 8,000 points after two stays
Choice Privileges is offering up to 8,000 points after every two stays between September 21 and November 15, 2020. This promotion is only available to members based in the US and Canada, and there’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn.
Here are the basic terms to be aware of:
- Registration is required prior to the check-out of your first stay
- Members will be awarded a minimum of 5,000 bonus points and a maximum of 8,000 bonus points, depending on the number of base points earned from the two stays
- Only bookings made directly with Choice (through the app, website, or by phone) qualify
- A qualifying stay is one that is eligible to earn Choice Privileges points, except stays booked at rates below 40USD per night, reward night stays, etc.
- You must set your earnings preference to Choice Privileges points in order to qualify
- Points should post within 72 hours of an eligible check-out
- Choice properties in the following countries are excluded from this promotion: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Guyana, and Ecuador
- You can earn the bonus multiple times
But wait, isn’t this Choice promo for a gift card?
If you go to the promotion page, you’ll notice that this deal is marketed as offering a $50 gift card after staying twice. You can choose a gift card from a variety of retailers, ranging from Amazon to Panera.
So why am I talking about earning points? Because the reality is that you earn 8,000 points after two stays. You can redeem those however you want, whether you prefer a gift card or a free night.
Choice adjusts the marketing around its promotions every so often. There’s no requirement here to actually redeem for gift cards, but rather it’s just an option that you have.
What makes Choice promotions unique
One thing that makes Choice Privileges promotions different than others is that the number of bonus points you earn varies based on how many base points you earn for a stay.
Choice Privileges isn’t offering 8,000 bonus points after every two stays, but rather the program will adjust the points you earn after two stays so that you have 8,000 points, including the base points you earn.
Choice ordinarily offers 10 points per dollar spent, so if you made two one night stays that cost $100 each, you’d earn 6,000 bonus points, for example. If the two stays you make happen to be especially expensive, you do earn a minimum of 5,000 bonus points after every two stays.
How much are Choice points worth?
I value Choice Privileges points at ~0.75 cents each. So if you were to earn an average of 4,000 points per stay, that would be like a $30 return per stay. That’s a pretty good return, especially if you make short stays at inexpensive properties.
While 8,000 points are enough for stays at most Choice properties, you can get a lot of value by redeeming Choice Privileges points at properties in Scandinavia, including the Clarion Collection Hotel Folketeateret and the Clarion Collection Hotel Bastion.
There you can redeem 16,000 points per night for a stay at a Clarion Collection property that includes breakfast, an afternoon snack, and supper, and those hotels often retail for $200+ per night.
Choice Privileges offers the same promotion pretty often, and this fall is no different.
You earn somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 bonus points after every two stays, which is a return of ~$19-30 per stay, by my valuation. Given how inexpensive many Choice properties are, that’s potentially a solid deal, especially for one night stays.
Do you plan on taking advantage of Choice’s fall 2020 promotion?