In March we first learned that American Express would be ending the OPEN Savings program as of June 1, 2018. With this program, those with American Express business cards could earn extra rewards for purchases with select retailers, including FedEx, Hertz, HP, and 1800Flowers.com.
Specifically, if you had an eligible card, you could choose to receive either 5% off or two bonus Membership Rewards points per dollar spent. This was a nice additional reward for those with an Amex business card.
At first there was no indication that Amex would introduce a new program, though it looks like they have. As of June 1, 2018, American Express has introduced the “Do More Business” program. This is essentially an extension of the popular “Amex Offers” program, which offers savings for purchases with select retailers.
- American Express® Business Gold Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Amex says that the “Do More Business” program will offer 5-10% savings on many types of business expenses.
The program is integrated into Amex Offers, and if you just log into your Amex dashboard you won’t even see these offers listed separately. However, if you log into your account through americanexpress.com/domorebusiness, you’ll see that it generates a separate tab with these offers.
To start, it looks like there are five offers, as follows:
- FedEx: Get 5% back, up to $1,000, through November 30, 2018
- Lowe’s: Get 10% back, up to $100, through November 30, 2018
- Staples: Get 10% back, up to $100, through November 30, 2018
- ExxonMobil: Get 10% back, up to $100, through November 30, 2018
- Dell: Get 10% back, up to $1,500, through November 30, 2018
This is a positive development, especially if these offers rotate over time. The savings amounts are significant, the offers are valid for many months, and the retailers actually seem like they could be useful. So far I’m impressed by this program.
American Express has quite a few excellent business cards, and probably my three favorite are the following:
- American Express® Business Gold Card offers very lucrative bonus points in select categories (learn more about the card here)
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express has no annual fee (Rates & Fees) and offers 2x points on the first $50,000 spent annually (1x after that) (learn more about the card here)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has excellent perks (learn more about the card here)
What do you make of the Amex “Do More Business” program?
(Tip of the hat to Rapid Travel Chai)
The following links will direct you to the rates and fees for mentioned American Express Cards. These include: The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (Rates & Fees).