At the beginning of the month I wrote about a great promotion that Amazon is running. Specifically, you can get 20% off when you use Amex Membership Rewards points to pay for at least part of your purchase. You’ll want to redeem exactly one point to get a one cent discount, which in turn would save you $100 (redeeming Amex points for Amazon purchases isn’t actually a good deal, so that’s why you want to redeem as few points as possible).
For those of you who haven’t taken advantage of this offer yet, I think it’s worth posting a reminder of it, given that it’s Amazon Prime Day, which offers some of the biggest discounts on the year on Amazon purchases. You can stack those savings with up to 20% off with the Amazon promotion on items sold directly by Amazon.
Amazon Prime Day kicks off at 12PM PT, and runs for 36 hours, through midnight PT tomorrow, with various promotions throughout the period.
The basics of the promotion
The process of taking advantage of Amazon’s 20% off promotion is easy:
- You first have to activate the offer by clicking the “Click to activate” button on this page
- Then add eligible items to your shopping cart, which includes virtually anything that is sold and shipped by Amazon
- At check-out use at least one Membership Rewards point for your purchase (and that’s exactly what I’d do — I recommend redeeming exactly one point); be super careful when making the purchase, because it’s easy to accidentally redeem points for the entire cost of the purchase, which is a bad deal
Furthermore, in practice gift card purchases are eligible for this offer, though it is taking a few hours for them to process.
How I took advantage of this promotion
If you haven’t taken advantage of this promotion and don’t have anything you want to buy on Prime Day, there are two strategies you can take that still seem to work:
- Purchase a $400 Amazon gift card plus a $100 gift card with another retailer
- Purchase $500 worth of gift cards with another retailer, including options like Starbucks, Lyft, Uber, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Hotels.com, Whole Foods, and iTunes
Amazon Prime Day is one of the most popular days of the year for Amazon purchases. While the savings are good to begin with, you might as well take advantage of this 20% off deal using Amex points if you haven’t done so already to score an even better deal.