A few days ago I wrote about a great promotion that Amazon is running. A lot of people have asked if it’s possible to take advantage of this promotion twice, and amazingly enough it seems like the answer is yes.
The basics of the promotion
Amazon is offering 20% off when you use American Express Membership Rewards points to pay for at least part of your purchase (in other words, you’d want to redeem exactly one point to get a $0.01 discount). The maximum discount per offer is $100, meaning this is valid for a purchase of up to $500. Note that for whatever reason not everyone seems eligible, though a vast majority of people do report being able to take advantage of the offer.
The process of taking advantage of this is easy:
- You first have to activate the offer by clicking the “Click to activate” button on this page
- Then add eligible items to your shopping cart, which includes virtually anything that is sold and shipped by Amazon
- At check-out use at least one Membership Rewards point for your purchase (and that’s exactly what I’d do — I recommend redeeming exactly one point); be super careful when making the purchase, because it’s easy to accidentally redeem points for the entire cost of the purchase, which is a bad deal
Furthermore, in practice gift card purchases are eligible for this offer, though it is taking a few hours for them to process.
How I took advantage of this promotion
There seem to be two strategies that are most popular for taking advantage of this deal:
- Purchase a $400 Amazon gift card plus a $100 gift card with another retailer
- Purchase $500 worth of gift cards with another retailer, including options like Starbucks, Lyft, Uber, Southwest Airlines, Airbnb, Hotels.com, Whole Foods, and iTunes
You can take advantage of the offer again!
This brings us to what’s new. When the offer was first launched we weren’t sure if it could be used multiple times. Fortunately it looks like it can be used at least twice.
After taking advantage of the offer the first time around I activated the offer again and put $500 worth of Uber gift cards in my cart. I said I’d pay with one Membership Rewards point, so the total was $399.99.
As much as I don’t like buying this much in gift cards up front, when I’m really getting almost a third off (after factoring in that I’m redeeming my Amazon gift card balance for this, for which I earned 5x points), that’s a price at which I can’t say no.
This deal gets even better for those of you who chose to purchase $400 of Amazon gift cards plus $100 worth of gift cards with other retailers the first time around. You could now redeem that $400 Amazon gift card towards $500 worth of gift cards with other retailers. That’s a total of $600 in gift cards for $400, which is an incredible deal.
(Tip of the hat to Doctor Of Credit)