Video footage has emerged of a power bank in a passenger’s bag catching fire on a China Southern flight today from Guangzhou to Shanghai (CZ3539). Passengers noticed some smoke coming from the overhead bin, and then a crew member and a passenger worked to extinguish the fire using bottled water and juice (which seems like a strange method to use, though it works surprisingly well).
There was no further damage to the aircraft and no one was injured, though the flight was delayed by a few hours, as the airline got a replacement aircraft. While fires unfortunately aren’t (that) uncommon, what makes this interesting is that there’s a video of the incident, which you don’t often see. Here it is:
Thank goodness the fire was detected so quickly, and on the ground.
You can find mode on the story on Channel News Asia.
(Tip of the hat to @pir8z40)