In no particular order:
- Last night my redeye from Los Angeles to Washington Dulles left from the same area as the United flight to Sydney. The flight showed as having 15 seats remaining, yet there were well over a dozen passengers in the gate area dressed in wrinkly suits and dresses they clearly haven’t fit into in over ten years. Yes, the illustrious life of a non-rev. Unfortunately this flight was weight restricted, so the gate agent loudly announced “if you want to travel for free and are an employee or on a buddy pass, you’re not going tonight because we have a lot of mail and cargo.” A girl waiting in the gate area (her mother obviously worked for United) responded that “the mail should take their own plane, not our passenger plane.” Hey, here’s an even better idea: United should operate planes just for the SA’s! I almost felt bad for the family, until I realized that they’d probably be in first class suites the next time I’m stuck in coach on a 15 hour flight.
- There are two skinny, maybe low-20 Asian girls in the gate area waiting for the IAD redeye, both with massive bags of McDonald’s food and probably 128oz. drinks. The one girl tries to place the drink on her suitcase, and as soon as she did that I knew it would fall. If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years from being at airports it’s to put your drink on the FLOOR when you’re in the terminal and there’s no table. And whaddya know, “SPLAT.” Her friend just responded with “oh well, don’t worry about it. Let’s move over there.”
- “By the powers vested in me by the FAA, I now pronounce you exit row helpers.”
- The lady sitting across from me from Washington to Tampa had her headphones on and was sleeping for most of the flight. That’s fine, but her Blackberry alarm clock went off mid-flight, and she didn’t hear it. Yes, it was even that annoying “dana nana nana” chime. It rang for several minutes as all the passengers started looking around trying to figure out what was going on.
- I spent 11 hours at LAX yesterday. It worked out well since I had a bunch of work I had to finish up, but I have to say, for me being at an airport is relaxing. I know I’m probably alone on that one….