Update: This offer for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Earlier I wrote about how IHG is revamping their PointBreaks promotion. This is a promotion they’ve been offering on a quarterly basis for years, which allows you to book select hotels for just 5,000 points per night. Given that I value IHG points at ~0.5 cents each, that’s the equivalent of paying just ~$25 per night for a hotel room, which is a steal.
The issue is that the quality of the hotels on the lists has been gradually decreasing over the years, to the point that many of us don’t even bother trying with the promotion anymore. It’s great if you happen to be traveling to somewhere that has a PointBreaks hotel, but otherwise it’s just not worth going out of your way to stay at one, in my opinion.
This week IHG has announced that they’re changing up the PointBreaks promotion, and more specifically, hotels will cost 5,000, 10,000, or 15,000 points per night going forward. IHG is promising that they’ll offer more hotels than in the past, and presumably higher quality hotels as well.
Also keep in mind that if you have the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, you get a 10% refund on award redemptions, up to 100,000 points back each year. So that would get you 500-1,500 points per night back for PointBreaks bookings.
The next PointBreaks list will go live on Monday, January 29, 2018, and will be valid for stays through April 30, 2018. Ahead of the reveal of 200+ hotels, IHG today has revealed a small sampling of the hotels that will be available in each category. Here are the 30 hotels they’ve shared so far:
Hotels that will be available for 5,000 points per night
- PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA: Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
- INDIA: Holiday Inn Express Chennai Mahindra World City
- BRAZIL: Holiday Inn Belo Horizonte Savassi
- MEXICO: Hotel Indigo Veracruz Boca Del Rio
- PANAMA: Holiday Inn Panama Canal
- UNITED STATES: (Illinois): Holiday Inn Express Rolling Mdws-Schaumburg Area
- UNITED STATES (New York): Holiday Inn Rochester NY – Downtown
- UNITED STATES (Texas): Candlewood Suites Kenedy
- ITALY: Holiday Inn Nola – Naples Vulcano Buono
- TURKEY: Crowne Plaza Antalya
Hotel Indigo Veracruz Boca Del Rio
Hotels that will be available for 10,000 points per night
- INDONESIA: Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
- LAOS: Crowne Plaza Vientiane
- COLOMBIA: InterContinental Cali
- MEXICO: Staybridge Suites Silao
- UNITED STATES (Oklahoma): Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oklahoma City North
- UNITED STATES (Utah): Holiday Inn Express & Suites Vernal – Dinosaurland
- UNITED STATES: (Virginia): Staybridge Suites Chantilly Dulles Airport
- UNITED STATES (Washington): Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Bellingham
- ITALY: Holiday Inn Rome – Aurelia
- SERBIA: Crowne Plaza Belgrade
Hotels that will be available for 15,000 points per night
- JAPAN: ANA Crowne Plaza Hiroshima
- TAIWAN: Hotel Indigo Kaohsiung Central Park
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi
- BRAZIL: InterContinental Sao Paulo
- CANADA (Calgary): Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary
- UNITED STATES (New Jersey): Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown
- UNITED STATES: (North Dakota): Staybridge Suites Fargo
- UNITED STATES: (Texas): Crowne Plaza Suites Arlington – Ballpark – Stadium
- FINLAND: Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre
- UKRAINE: InterContinental Kiev
InterContinental Sao Paulo
We’ll have to wait until Monday for the full list, though overall I have to say that I’m impressed — this list looks reasonably promising, and reminds me a lot of what PointBreaks lists looked like when the promotion was first introduced. If they maintain this kind of quality I might actually be more interested in the promotion again.
What are your first thoughts based on the PointBreaks preview list?