Capital One’s network of airport lounges has just expanded, with the opening of the new Capital One Lounge Washington (IAD). This complements the Capital One Lounge Dallas (DFW), and it’s expected that the Capital One Lounge Denver (DEN) will open soon as well. Let’s go over all the details.
In this post:
Basics of the Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles
The Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles Airport has opened its doors as of Thursday, September 7, 2023. The 8,500 square foot lounge is located just past the main security checkpoint, beyond TSA PreCheck. This is great for those originating their travels in Washington, though for those connecting, this will require a bit of a detour.
The lounge will be open daily from 5:30AM until 9PM. However, during the soft opening (from September 7-15, 2023), the lounge will be open from 8:30AM until 7PM.
The lounge’s decor is inspired by the historical terminal at IAD, influenced by mid-century architect Eero Saarinen and artist Harry Bertoia. The lounge showcases historic architectural images of the airport’s original control tower and terminal, and also has teak wood architectural elements and mid-century modern furniture.
As you’d expect, a big focus of Capital One Lounges is the food and drink program, so guests can expect:
- A local food and beverage selection, including in-lounge meals served and plated as small bites
- A selection of grab & go food, including jarred salads, granola bowls, and fresh juices
- A full-service coffee bar, serving La Colombe cold brew on tap, and drip coffee from Blanchard’s Coffee Roasting Company
- A selection of beer on tap from Lost Rhino Brewing Co, a variety of cocktails, including a Bee’s Knees cocktail via a partnership with Will Patton, and craft chocolates from River-Sea Chocolates
In addition to the above, you can expect the Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles to feature:
- Four private, all-gender restrooms
- A parent’s room, for feeding and nursing children, plus a changing table stocked with wipes, disposable diapers, and a bottle warmer
- Tables for kids and families
- Individual power outlets at every seat, and complimentary high speed Wi-Fi
- Two semi-private, open-air rooms featuring a working space
- Secure lockers with storage for carry-ons and personal items
- A filtered water system
- A flight status display
Below you can find some pictures of the lounge, shared by Capital One.
Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles entry requirements
Capital One Lounges can be accessed by the following people:
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (review) (Rates & Fees) cardmembers can get unlimited access to Capital One Lounges, and can bring two guests with them for free, and can bring additional guests with them for $45 each; keep in mind that authorized users can be added to the card for free, and they get the same lounge access perks
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card (review) (Rates & Fees) and Capital One Spark Miles for Business (review) (Rates & Fees) cardmembers receive two complimentary visits annually, with no complimentary guesting privileges (the passes could be used by the primary cardmember or authorized users, and can also be used for a guest who is present, meaning you could use two passes for you and a guest); additional guests, as well as additional visits, cost $45 each
- Kids under two can enter Capital One Lounges for free
- All others can enter Capital One Lounges for $65 per visit
- Even though Capital One Lounges are operated in partnership with Plaza Premium Group, there’s no access through other credit cards or lounge membership programs
Getting the Capital One Venture X Card for lounge access can be totally worth it. The card has a $395 annual fee, but offers a $300 annual travel credit and 10K bonus anniversary miles every year, so having the card should cost you very little if you’re going about it right. Furthermore, you’ll be able to add four authorized users to the card at no extra cost, and they’ll receive the same lounge access perks. That makes this the ideal card for families.
The Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles looks great!
I’m sure I’m not alone in being thrilled to see Capital One finally growing its lounge network. When the Capital One Lounge DFW opened in late 2021, it really set the new standard for credit card lounges in the United States.
Personally I love all the little touches, like the barista-made coffee, the cold brew on tap, the grab & go food, and the individually portioned food. This will be a particularly great addition at Washington Dulles Airport, as this will be the first branded credit card lounge at the airport, as there are no Amex Centurion Lounges or Chase Sapphire Lounges.
The Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles is now open, and looks great! I’m thrilled to see this lounge finally opening, given how long we’ve been waiting for this. This lounge should be a treat for guests, between the great in-lounge food and drinks, the grab & go food, and the generally nice design. I’m excited to check out this lounge soon!
What do you make of the new Capital One Lounge Washington Dulles?