The world has changed a lot in the past several months, and credit card issuers have had to adapt.
The valuable travel perks that people used to seek out in credit cards are now significantly less worthwhile, so we’ve seen card issuers add temporary benefits to keep cardmembers engaged.
Along those lines, both American Express and Chase issue co-branded Marriott credit cards. Back in July we saw Chase co-branded Marriott cards get special bonus categories, and then in August we saw Amex co-branded Marriott cards get special bonus categories.
The validity for the Chase Marriott card bonus categories has now been extended through September 30, compared to the previous expiration of September 15.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about these bonuses.
Marriott Chase card 10x points categories
As was announced several weeks back, those with a Chase Marriott Bonvoy credit card can earn 10x points in select categories between July 15 and September 30, 2020:
- Earn 10x Bonvoy points at restaurants, food delivery services, and gas stations
- Cardmembers have to “opt-in” for this promotion
- The 10x points can be earned on up to $3,500 of combined spending between the categories
- Eligible credit cards for these bonuses include the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, Marriott Bonvoy Premier Plus Business Credit Card, The Ritz-Carlton Credit Card, Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card, Marriott Bonvoy Premier Credit Card, and Marriott Bonvoy Business Credit Card
Earn 10x points on food deliveries
Marriott Amex card 10x points categories
We’re now seeing brand new temporary bonus categories being introduced on Amex Marriott Bonvoy credit cards. Through October 31, 2020, Amex co-branded Marriott cards are offering:
- 10x Bonvoy points on Marriott spending
- 10x Bonvoy points on gas station spending
- 10x Bonvoy points on U.S. restaurant spending
As you’d expect, there are some terms to be aware of:
- You need to register for these offers, and can do so through the Amex Offers page on your card account
- You’re limited to earning bonus points on a total of $7,500 worth of spending during the promotion period
- Eligible cards for this promotion include the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card and Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card
Is 10x points a good deal?
While the bonus categories on co-branded Marriott cards vary, generally the above purchases earn anywhere from 1-6x points per dollar spent, so earning 10x points is a significant improvement.
Should you be shifting your spending in the above categories to an eligible Marriott card? For context, I value Marriott points at ~0.7 cents each, so to me earning 10x points is the equivalent of a ~7% return on spending.
Whether or not it makes sense to switch spending to a co-branded Marriott card depends on what else is in your wallet:
- See this post for the best credit cards for restaurant and delivery spending; some cards offer a return that I value at up to 8.5%, so while 10x Bonvoy points is excellent, it won’t cause me to change my current strategy
- See this post for the best credit cards for gas station spending; ordinarily by my valuation some cards offer up to a ~5.1% return on gas station spending, though at the moment the Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering up to 5x points at gas stations, which I value at an 8.5% return, so that’s even a bit better than 10x Bonvoy points
- See this post for the best credit cards for Marriott hotel spending; earning the equivalent of a ~7% return on Marriott spending is industry-leading, since the next best option earns a ~5.1% return, by my valuation
In my opinion:
- The Marriott spending return is excellent
- The gas station return is solid and one of the best options
- There are several great options for restaurant and delivery spending right now, some of which offer more value
Personally I could see myself trying to earn 10x points on Marriott spending, since I consider that the best return. Meanwhile I won’t really benefit from the other categories — I use the Citi Prestige for restaurants and earn 5x ThankYou points, while I don’t have a gas car, and therefore don’t spend money at gas stations.
Earn 10x points at gas stations
Marriott has co-branded credit cards issued by both American Express and Chase, and both issuers currently have different bonus categories for spending. Both issuers are offering bonus points on dining and gas stations, while Amex cards are offering bonus points on Marriott spending.
These are some robust bonus categories that many could benefit from. Given that there are few “efficient” ways to earn Bonvoy points short of making hotel stays or buying points, this is a great opportunity to consider.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this deal to earn 10x Bonvoy points in these categories?