IHG Rewards Club has opened registration for its first major promotion of 2021, which offers bonus points and makes it easier to earn status.
Earn 2K bonus points per stay with IHG
- Members can earn 2,000 bonus points with every stay of two nights or more
- Those bonus points count towards elite status in the IHG Rewards Club program
- Members can earn up to 70,000 bonus points during the promotion
This promotion is valid for stays between January 20 and March 31, 2021. Registration is required prior to eligible stays. Even if you don’t have any immediate plans to stay at IHG properties, I’d highly recommend registering, because it’s easy to forget later on.
There is no booking deadline, so nights consumed anytime during the promotion period would be eligible, as long as you register in time. All paid nights booked directly with IHG qualify for this promotion, as long as the nightly rate is at least $30 (award nights don’t qualify).
How much are IHG bonus points worth?
Personally I value IHG Rewards Club points at ~0.5 cents each, so I value 2,000 bonus points at ~$10. That’s not exactly an amazing return for a stay of two or more nights, since it averages out to a maximum of $5 worth of bonus points per night. Note that doesn’t include the value of those points also counting towards status, which I’ll talk more about below.
Now, in fairness, this is in addition to the usual points earning opportunities:
- IHG Rewards Club offers 10x points per dollar spent at most brands, and 5x points per dollar spent at Candlewood Suites and Staybridge Suites
- IHG Rewards Club members receive bonus points — Gold members receive a 10% bonus, Platinum members a 50% bonus, and Spire members a 100% bonus
- If you pay with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (review) you earn 10x IHG bonus points per dollar spent
IHG Rewards Club makes status easier to earn in 2021
IHG Rewards Club is making it easier to earn status in 2021 in three ways:
- All qualifying nights earned from stays in 2020 will count towards 2021 status
- IHG is extending the minimum of 25% reduction in elite qualifying criteria through 2021 (whether qualifying based on points or nights), and you can find that chart below
- You earn 2,000 bonus elite points for every two or more night stay during the promotion period
This does make it quite a bit easier to earn status in 2021, though I’d note that:
- The IHG Rewards Club Premier Card comes with automatic Platinum status, and there are still quite some incremental stays required to earn Spire
- The incremental perks for Spire over Platinum are quite limited, and there aren’t many circumstances where I could see it being worthwhile to go out of your way to stay at IHG properties to earn those bonus elite points
IHG has launched its first major promotion of 2021, offering 2,000 bonus points after each stay of two or more nights. Not only do you earn points that you can redeem, but these are also points that count towards IHG Rewards Club status for 2021.
On top of that, IHG Rewards Club has lowered elite requirements for 2021 — the program will allow rollover nights, and will also reduce thresholds in terms of points and nights by at least 25%.
What do you make of IHG’s new promotion for 2,000 bonus points per stay?