IHG Rewards has today revealed the details of its upcoming global promotion, and it’s already possible to register. This has the potential to be pretty lucrative.
Up to triple points with new IHG Rewards promo
- Members can earn 2x IHG Rewards points on their second stay
- Members can earn 3x IHG Rewards points starting with their third stay
- Members who pay with their IHG Credit Card can earn up to 6,000 additional IHG Rewards bonus points — 3,000 bonus points after their second stay, and an additional 3,000 bonus points after their third stay
As far as the timing and restrictions of this promotion go:
- The promotion is valid for stays between October 1 and December 31, 2021
- Registration is required between September 15 and December 31, 2021, and prior to an eligible stay
- There is no booking deadline, so nights consumed anytime during the promotion period would be eligible, as long as you register in time
- All paid nights booked directly with IHG qualify for this promotion, as long as the nightly rate is at least $30 (award nights don’t qualify)
- Bonus points will post four to six weeks after an eligible stay
- Members can earn a total of up to 70,000 IHG Rewards bonus points during the promotion period (76,000 IHG Rewards bonus points including the IHG Card bonus)
How lucrative is this IHG Rewards promo?
I’d say this is a fairly lucrative promotion. For what it’s worth, I value IHG Rewards points at ~0.5 cents each, and ordinarily IHG Rewards members earn the following number of points for stays:
- IHG Rewards offers 10 points per dollar spent at most brands, and five points per dollar spent at Candlewood Suites and Staybridge Suites
- IHG Rewards members receive bonus points — Gold members receive a 10% bonus, Platinum members receive a 50% bonus, and Spire members receive a 100% bonus
- If you pay with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (review) you earn 10 IHG bonus points per dollar spent
With this new promotion:
- You’re earning 10 additional bonus points per dollar spent at most brands on your second stay, which I value at an incremental 5% return
- Starting with your third stay you’re earning 20 additional bonus points per dollar spent at most brands, which I value at an incremental 10% return
To do the math, as someone with the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card (which automatically comes with Platinum status) I’d be earning 45 IHG Rewards points per dollar spent starting with my third stay, up to the bonus points cap. That’s pretty decent.
However, the bonus cap is fairly low, at least for those who travel a lot. You’d max out the 70,000 bonus points after earning triple points on $3,500 worth of spending.
IHG Rewards status is easier to earn in 2021
While this was announced at the beginning of the year, this is a reminder that IHG Rewards has made it easier to earn elite status in 2021 in two ways:
- All qualifying nights earned from stays in 2020 count towards 2021 status
- IHG is extending the minimum of 25% reduction in elite qualifying criteria through 2021 (whether qualifying based on points or nights), and you can find that chart below
This does make it quite a bit easier to earn status in 2021, though I’d note that:
- The IHG Rewards Club Premier Card comes with automatic Platinum status, and there are still quite some incremental stays required to earn Spire
- The incremental perks for Spire over Platinum are quite limited, and there aren’t many circumstances where I could see it being worthwhile to go out of your way to stay at IHG properties to earn those bonus elite points
IHG Rewards has just officially opened registration for its fall 2021 promotion, which is quite lucrative. IHG is offering double points for your second stay, and triple points starting with your third stay, which is an opportunity to earn up to 20 bonus points per dollar spent. On top of that, those with an IHG Card can earn up to 6,000 additional bonus points.
What do you make of IHG Rewards’ new triple points promotion?