This is an update that IHG has announced that they’re improving this promotion in two ways:
- The promotion will run through December 31, 2018, rather than through December 16, 2018
- There’s no longer a limit to how many stays you can earn double points on, as you can now earn double points on unlimited stays
For the past few years, most of IHG’s global hotel promotions have been customized. Everyone gets some type of offer, but different members get targeted for different versions of the offer. The logic is that hotel loyalty programs want to generate incremental revenue, so they’d like to get you to increase the business you’d otherwise give them, rather than just reward you for stays you’d make anyway.
These are often called “Accelerate” offers, and IHG’s latest such promotion ended on July 31, 2018, so it has been over a month since IHG has had a global promotion.
Now IHG has announced the details of their next global promotion, valid for stays between September 16 and December 16, 2018.
Everyone seems to be eligible to earn double points, though there are different limits for how many stays you can earn double points for. Furthermore, there’s an additional bonus that seems to differ from member to member. You can log-in here to see the offer you’re eligible for.
My version of the promotion is for up to 36,400 bonus points after completing two offers.
My tasks include the following:
- Double Your Stay — 30,000 bonus points (earn double points on every stay, starting with your second stay, up to 30,000 bonus points)
- Travel with the IHG App — 6,400 bonus points (book two stays with the IHG App and earn 6,400 bonus points)
This promotion is significantly simpler than IHG’s previous Accelerate offers, and also not as gamified, as there aren’t as many tasks to complete. Like I said, different members will be eligible for different offers, though I’m not impressed by my promotion.
You earn 10 IHG points per dollar spent at most brands, meaning I’d earn double points for $3,000 of hotel spend, excluding my first stay.
Personally I value IHG points at ~0.5 cents each, so if I completed both tasks I’d earn under $200 worth of bonus points for $3,000+ of spend, which isn’t great.
We’ve already learned about some of the promotions from the other major hotel groups — Hilton is offering 2-3x points this fall, Hyatt is offering up to 60,000 bonus points after 40 nights. Meanwhile Marriott has announced nothing.
- Offers a welcome bonus of 80,00 IHG Rewards Club points after spending $2,000 within the first three months
- Offers an anniversary free night certificate annually, valid at a hotel costing up to 40,000 points, which more than justifies the card’s $89 annual fee
- Offers a fourth night free when redeeming points for hotel stays
- Offers IHG Rewards Club Platinum status for as long as you have the card
What does your fall 2018 IHG offer look like, and what do you make of it?