Iberia Plus has just launched one of the best award sales the program has ever offered. Of course that’s only of so much use, given coronavirus and border restrictions.
Iberia Plus offering 50% off award tickets
The Iberia Plus program is offering a straightforward 50% off award sale:
- This is valid for bookings made by August 30, 2020
- This is valid for travel between September 1, 2020, and March 15, 2021
- Travel in economy, premium economy, and business class, qualifies
- Travel on Iberia, Iberia Express, and Air Nostrum qualifies for the discount
- There’s no registration required, and the discount should apply automatically when making an award booking
- Update: the promotion page now indicates that this is for residents of Spain, though my account is registered in the US and the lower price automatically shows, so…
We’ve seen Iberia offer discounts on redemptions in the past, though this is by far the best promotion I recall seeing from Iberia, as it’s valid across virtually all routes, and for 50% off.
Get 50% off Iberia Plus awards
How much does Iberia Plus charge for award tickets?
Iberia Plus has a distance based award chart, so here’s a look at both peak and off-peak pricing:
For example, Chicago to Madrid one-way on Iberia would ordinarily cost 17,000 Avios in economy, 25,500 Avios in premium economy, or 34,000 Avios in business class.
During this promotion you’d pay just 8,500 Avios in economy, 12,250 Avios in premium economy, or 17,000 Avios in business class.
The other great thing about Iberia Avios is that carrier imposed surcharges for travel on Iberia are quite low (in contrast to awards booked through British Airways Executive Club). For example, this one-way business class award would cost you just $81.19 in cash.
Best ways to earn Iberia Plus Avios
Fortunately, there are lots of great ways to earn Iberia Avios:
- Iberia Plus often sells Avios with a bonus, which can be quite a good deal; at the moment there’s a 50% bonus on purchased Avios
- Iberia Plus is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Marriott Bonvoy, so there are quite a few ways to earn these points
- You can transfer Avios between Aer Lingus AerClub, British Airways Executive Club, and Iberia Plus, assuming accounts have been open for at least 90 days
On top of that, there are three credit cards issued in the US that earn Avios:
- Aer Lingus Visa Signature® Card (review)
- British Airways Visa Signature® Card (review)
- Iberia Visa Signature® Card (review)
Iberia business class seat
Iberia Plus is offering 50% off award redemptions in all cabins for travel over a nearly six month period. This is one of the best award sales we’ve ever seen from Iberia, as you can travel transatlantic in business class for just 17,000 Avios one-way, plus taxes and fees of under $100.
While that sounds great, of course the major issue continues to be the restrictions on travel. International travel restrictions are constantly changing, which makes planning any travel tough.
Still, some might find it worth making a speculative booking, given the potential upside here. Furthermore, this is also useful for those looking to travel within Europe, where there are fewer restrictions.
Anyone plan on speculatively taking advantage of this Iberia Plus sale, or is there just too much uncertainty?