Update: These offers for the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express and the Delta Reserve® Credit Card from American Express have expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
Through October 30, 2019, we’re seeing some of the best-ever welcome bonuses on co-branded Delta Amex cards (there will be big changes coming to these cards in 2020). In this post I wanted to look at one specific aspect of these bonuses.
Delta American Express Card Increased Bonuses
Through October 30, 2019, we’re seeing the following increased bonuses on Delta’s co-branded American Express personal cards:
- The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card (review) is offering 60,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 within three months, plus a $50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months
- The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card (review) is offering 75,000 bonus miles plus 5,000 MQMs after spending $3,000 within three months, plus a $100 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months
- The Delta Reserve® Credit Card (review) is offering 75,000 bonus miles plus 10,000 MQMs after spending $5,000 within three months
These are among the best offers we’ve ever seen on the cards, and you’re eligible for the bonuses on each of these, as they’re all considered separate products.
Delta Amex $50-100 Statement Credit Offer
One aspect of the welcome bonuses on the Gold and Platinum versions of the cards that confuses some people is the statement credits:
- The Gold Delta Amex offers a $50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months
- The Platinum Delta Amex offers a $100 statement credit after making a Delta purchase within the first three months
Delta Amex Statement Credit Basics
How exactly does that statement credit work? Here are the basics you need to know:
- Any purchase made directly through Delta will trigger the statement credit; you don’t actually have to spend $50 or $100, but rather a $1 purchase would do the trick (if you were able to find something that cheap)
- The credit will be issued within 8-12 weeks of the eligible purchase, though in practice it typically posts much faster than that
- You can only earn that statement credit once per card
- It doesn’t matter who you’re making a purchase for, as long as it’s billed to your Delta credit card (so you could pay award ticket taxes for someone else’s ticket, for example)
What Qualifies For The Delta Amex Statement Credit
What are some practical ways to make a Delta purchase with your new Delta credit card, without actually buying a ticket?
- You can pay the taxes on an award ticket, as that starts at just $5.60
- You can pay a checked bag fee or upgrade your seat
- You can pay to boost your mileage earning on a trip
- You can purchase a drink or snack onboard your next Delta flight
- You can purchase a Delta SkyClub membership or day pass
- If you have SkyClub access, you can buy a premium drink in the SkyClub
What Doesn’t Qualify For The Delta Amex Statement Credit
What wouldn’t qualify for the Delta Amex statement credit:
- Purchasing a Gogo wifi pass on a Delta flight, since that’s billed by Gogo and not Delta
- Purchasing anything from the Delta Shop, since that’s not billed by Delta
It’s also worth noting that the terms state that buying a Delta gift card wouldn’t qualify, though anecdotally many report statement credits automatically being triggered for these purchases. So that’s something to be aware of, though not something to count on.
Delta Amex Statement Credit Terms & Conditions
Lastly, just to be thorough, here are the terms & conditions associated with the $100 statement credit on the Platinum Delta Card:
One statement credit for $100 will be issued to your Card account after a Delta purchase is charged to your Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership, starting from the date your account is approved. Delta purchases to meet the first Delta purchase requirement include those made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account. Purchase must be made directly through Delta. A purchase may not qualify for the statement credit if it is submitted under a merchant code that has not been categorized as a Delta merchant code as of the date of the purchase(s). Credit will be issued as a Card Member statement credit approximately 8-12 weeks after your first Delta purchase. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. To earn the $100 statement credit, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment. Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Cards), cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards; person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.
You can earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase on your Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to make your first Delta purchase may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Credit will be issued as a Card Member statement approximately 8-12 weeks after your first Delta Purchase. If your application is not received by 10/30/2019, we will not process your application even if we later receive your application.
Assuming you make any Delta purchase within three months — even if it’s not for a total amount of $50-100 — the full statement credit would be triggered.
When valuing the welcome bonus on this card, definitely keep this in mind, as it should be worth pretty close to face value.