In this post:
Delta Amex Statement Credit Basics
How exactly does that statement credit work? Here are the basics you need to know:
- Any purchase made directly through Delta will trigger the statement credit; you don’t actually have to spend $50 or $100, but rather a $1 purchase would do the trick (if you were able to find something that cheap)
- The credit will be issued within 8-12 weeks of the eligible purchase, though in practice it typically posts much faster than that
- You can only earn that statement credit once per card
- It doesn’t matter who you’re making a purchase for, as long as it’s billed to your Delta credit card (so you could pay award ticket taxes for someone else’s ticket, for example)
What Qualifies For The Delta Amex Statement Credit
What are some practical ways to make a Delta purchase with your new Delta credit card, without actually buying a ticket?
- You can pay the taxes on an award ticket, as that starts at just $5.60
- You can pay a checked bag fee or upgrade your seat
- You can pay to boost your mileage earning on a trip
- You can purchase a drink or snack onboard your next Delta flight
- You can purchase a Delta SkyClub membership or day pass
- If you have SkyClub access, you can buy a premium drink in the SkyClub
What Doesn’t Qualify For The Delta Amex Statement Credit
What wouldn’t qualify for the Delta Amex statement credit:
- Purchasing a Gogo Wi-Fi pass on a Delta flight, since that’s billed by Gogo and not Delta
- Purchasing anything from the Delta Shop, since that’s not billed by Delta
It’s also worth noting that the terms state that buying a Delta gift card wouldn’t qualify, though anecdotally many report statement credits automatically being triggered for these purchases. So that’s something to be aware of, though not something to count on.
Delta Amex Statement Credit Terms & Conditions
Lastly, just to be thorough, here are the terms & conditions associated with the $100 statement credit on the Platinum Delta Card:
One statement credit for $100 will be issued to your Card account after a Delta purchase is charged to your Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership, starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to make your first purchase may be shorter than 3 months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Delta purchases to meet the first Delta purchase requirement include those made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account. Purchase must be made directly through Delta. A purchase may not qualify for the statement credit if it is submitted under a merchant code that has not been categorized as a Delta merchant code as of the date of the purchase(s). Credit will be issued as a Card Member statement credit approximately 8-12 weeks after your first Delta purchase. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. To earn the $100 statement credit, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment. Purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers (balance transfers are not available on Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Cards), cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards; person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.