Capital One Travel’s new Premier Collection has been announced today, offering cardmembers additional perks for stays at select luxury properties around the globe.
What is Capital One’s Premier Collection?
Plain and simple, think of Capital One Premier Collection as being along the lines of Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts, Virtuoso, etc. This program offers extra perks at select luxury hotels for those with the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (review).
As it’s described, Capital One Premier Collection “offers a selection of one-of-a-kind luxury hotels and resorts, each packed with personality and hand-picked for exceptional quality.” Hundreds of properties have been picked from a variety of brands, including Small Luxury Hotels, Leading Hotels of the World, Six Senses, 1 Hotels, Proper Hotels, and more.
The following are just some of the hotels that will belong to this collection:
- The Ned NoMad in New York City
- Montage Laguna Beach in California
- 1 Hotels South Beach in Florida
- La Réserve Paris Hotel and Spa in Paris
- COMO Castello Del Nero in Italy
- Sugar Beach, a Viceroy Resort in St. Lucia
- Euphoria Retreat in Greece
- Hotel Cafe Royal in London
- Majestic Hotel in Barcelona
- The Carlin Hotel in New Zealand
- The Plettenberg in South Africa
This new booking platform will be integrated into Capital One Travel, which is Capital One’s travel portal.
What are the perks for booking through Capital One’s Premier Collection?
Those with the Capital One Venture X will be able to take advantage of the following perks when booking through the Premier Collection:
- A $100 USD experience credit (or the local equivalent) to use on dining, spa, and other activities during their stay
- Daily breakfast for two
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Additional premium benefits when available, including early check-in, late check-out, a room upgrade, and more
Arguably the most interesting aspect of booking through Premier Collection is that those with the Capital One Venture X can earn 10x Venture miles for Premier Collection bookings. Furthermore, you can earn hotel loyalty points and take advantage of status perks when eligible, just as is the case with Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts and Virtuoso. It will also be possible to use the Venture X’s $300 annual travel credit toward these bookings.
My take on Capital One Premier Collection
There are dozens of programs offering perks at luxury hotels. Some are run by credit card companies (like Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts), some are independent networks for select travel agencies (like Virtuoso), and some are run directly by hotel programs for select travel agencies (like Four Seasons Preferred Partner).
So, what’s my take on Capital One Travel’s new Premier Collection?
- I wouldn’t read too much into the list of hotels being heavily curated, etc., as I imagine the hotels will almost entirely overlap with what’s available through other programs; it sounds like the collection will initially be a bit smaller than with some other programs, though
- The ability to earn 10x Venture miles with the the Capital One Venture X on these hotel bookings is great, as that’s a significant return, and that’s the main reason I’d consider using this program
- The catch is that if you’re staying at a hotel belonging to the major hotel groups, we’ve increasingly seen hotel groups set up their own programs for luxury travel agencies, and these generally offer better or prioritized perks; hotels will generally prioritize upgrades for those guests, rates and promotions are often more combinable than through these credit card programs, etc.
Capital One Premier Collection is definitely worth being aware of, and is worth checking on if you’re staying at a luxury property. However, there are lots of similar programs, and others may in many situations offer slightly better perks, a bigger hotel selection, etc.
Capital One Premier Collection has just been announced, which is Capital One’s new luxury hotel collection for those with the Capital One Venture X. You can receive additional perks for stays at select luxury hotels, including a hotel credit, breakfast, and more, in addition to earning 10x Venture points.
The additional points earning here is exciting, though just keep in mind there may sometimes be better value through other programs.
What do you make of the new Capital One Premier Collection?
Anyone knows when it will launch?
Diners' Club in the US formerly offered a similar program (through Signature Travel) which has been recently de-activated, apparently. Wonder if this was just a pivot by Signature from BMO to CapOne?
Earning 10x Venture miles and using annual $300 travel credit seems somewhat contradictary to earning hotel loyalty points and taking advantage of status perks, like prepaid FHR.