Marriott Bonvoy and United MileagePlus have a partnership, offering some reciprocal perks and opportunities. For the next couple of months, the two programs are offering a pretty lucrative dual accrual promotion.
In this post:
Earn Marriott points for United flights, United miles for Marriott stays
For a limited time, hotel stays credited to Marriott Bonvoy and flights credited to MileagePlus are more rewarding:
- Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador and Titanium members can earn 750 bonus Bonvoy points per United ticket
- United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Platinum, and Gold members can earn 500 bonus MileagePlus miles per Marriott stay
As you’d expect, there are some terms to be aware of:
- In order to participate, you must be enrolled in the partnership between the two programs; Marriott Bonvoy members can sign-up here and United MileagePlus members can sign-up here
- Registration for this promotion is required between October 10 and December 9, 2023, and those are also the same dates the promotion is valid
- Marriott Bonvoy members who select miles as their earning preference in their Marriott Bonvoy account are not eligible for this promotion
- Eligible stays and flights must begin within the promotion period, meaning that roundtrip flights and/or hotel check-ins must start by December 9, 2023
- Eligible stays and flights booked before October 10 that fall within the promotion period also count toward the offer
- There’s no limit on the number of eligible stays and flights for which you can be rewarded
- Marriott stays booked with points, and United flights booked with miles, don’t qualify toward this promotion
My take on this Marriott & United partnership
It’s cool to see an improvement like this to the partnership between Marriott and United. Based on my valuation of points, eligible elite members can earn:
- $5.50 worth of United miles per Marriott stay
- $5.25 worth of Marriott points per United itinerary
Is this going to move the needle much when it comes to which airline someone chooses to fly with, or which hotel group someone chooses to stay with? Probably not. But it’s a nice extra reward for the brand’s loyalest members.
The concept of dual accrual is similar to the partnership between American AAdvantage and World of Hyatt. With this, select elite members can earn one AAdvantage mile per dollar spent with Hyatt, and one World of Hyatt point per dollar spent with American.
I wonder if this is truly intended as a limited time promotion between Marriott and United, or if the two companies might be exploring making this permanent, but are first testing the waters.
Marriott Bonvoy and United MileagePlus have a dual accrual promotion, rewarding higher tier elite members who fly or stay. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador and Titanium members can earn 750 bonus Bonvoy points per United itinerary, while United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Platinum, and Gold members can earn 500 bonus MileagePlus miles per Marriott stay.
What do you make of this Marriott & United promotion?