IHG Rewards has just revealed the details of its first global promotion of 2022, which will be launching at the start of February.
2x points with IHG Rewards global promo
With IHG Rewards’ upcoming global promotion, members can earn 2x IHG Rewards points on all stays. Here are the details to be aware of:
- The promotion is valid for stays between February 1 and March 31, 2022
- Registration is required between January 19 and March 31, 2022, and prior to an eligible stay
- There is no booking deadline, so nights consumed anytime during the promotion period would be eligible, as long as you register in time
- All paid nights booked directly with IHG qualify for this promotion, as long as the nightly rate is at least $30 (award nights don’t qualify)
- You earn bonus points starting with your first stay, and there’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- Bonus points will post up to six weeks after an eligible stay
How lucrative is this IHG Rewards promo?
I’d say this is a fairly decent promotion. For what it’s worth, I value IHG Rewards points at ~0.5 cents each, and ordinarily IHG Rewards members earn the following number of points for stays:
- IHG Rewards offers 10 points per dollar spent at most brands, and five points per dollar spent at Candlewood Suites and Staybridge Suites
- IHG Rewards members receive bonus points — Gold members receive a 10% bonus, Platinum members receive a 50% bonus, and Spire members receive a 100% bonus
- If you pay with the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card (review) you earn 10 IHG bonus points per dollar spent
With this new promotion, you’re earning 10 additional bonus points per dollar spent at most brands, so that’s an incremental 5% return, by my valuation. If you have the IHG Rewards Club Premier Card (which automatically comes with Platinum status) you’d be earning 35 IHG Rewards points per dollar spent with no caps, which I value at a 17.5% return on hotel spending.
While we’ve seen IHG offer 3x points promotions in the past, there were typically bonus caps, and you often didn’t start earning any bonus points until your second stay. So this offer is good in the sense that you earn a bonus starting with your first stay, and there’s no cap on how many points you can earn.
IHG Rewards has revealed the details of its first global promotion of 2022, offering 2x points for all stays, with no cap on how many bonus points you can earn. Based on my valuation of 0.5 cents per IHG point, that’s like an incremental 5% return on IHG spending.
While this offer probably isn’t a reason to switch any stays to IHG, it’s definitely worth registering for.
What do you make of IHG Rewards’ new promotion?