Alaska Mileage Plan frequently has promotions targeted at California residents, making it easier to earn elite status. I guess the airline is struggling to maintain elites in California, or maybe it’s just the carrier’s way of competing in a hyper-competitive state.
Alaska Mileage Plan has just introduced its latest offer targeted at Mileage Plan members flying in Cailfornia.
In this post:
Alaska Mileage Plan bonus elite miles in California
Alaska Mileage Plan has launched a new promotion offering double elite miles for flights within California:
- This is valid for flights between August 15 and November 15, 2023
- Registration is required between July 11 and October 31, 2023, and must be done prior to your first eligible flight
- With this offer you’ll earn double elite qualifying miles on all first class and economy fares, except Saver fares
- You only earn double elite miles on flights wholly within California, and not flights between California and other states
- Flights must be marketed and operated by Alaska or on behalf of Alaska by Horizon or SkyWest
- The double elite miles only count toward elite status, and are not redeemable miles
My thoughts on this Alaska Mileage Plan promotion
It’s interesting to see how Alaska Airlines has so many promotions targeting California flyers. I guess that’s not too surprising, when you consider how competitive the state is for airlines. All of the “big three” US carriers have at least one hub there, and Southwest also has a huge presence in California.
As far as this offer goes, this is better than nothing for those pursuing elite status, but it’s hardly the most generous promotion we’ve ever seen. Alaska doesn’t have that many routes within California, and they’re typically a few hundred miles, so double elite miles isn’t going to get you that far. Still, if you have any eligible flights, you might as well register, because something is better than nothing.
If you are interested in status with Alaska Mileage Plan, keep in mind that the program has a status match & challenge offer, which can help you earn status quickly. This can be used for MVP, MVP Gold, or MVP Gold 75K, but can’t be used for MVP Gold 100K.
For travel this fall, Alaska Mileage Plan is offering double elite qualifying miles for flights within California. This promotion is better than nothing if you have any upcoming flights, though unfortunately it only applies to flights within the state, which greatly limits the potential usefulness of this promotion.
To Alaska Mileage Plan members, what do you make of this promotion?