Wyndham Rewards has just introduced its latest promotion on purchased points. Historically the program hasn’t sold points often, but this is the second promotion in the past several weeks.
Buy Wyndham points for 25% off
Through Friday, May 7, 2021, Wyndham Rewards is offering a 25% discount on purchased points:
- You can receive a 25% discount as long as you purchase at least 3,000 points in one transaction
- You can purchase up to 45,000 points per account per calendar year
- Points are ordinarily sold in increments of 1,000 for 1.3 cents per point
- Points will post within 72 hours of an eligible purchase
With this promotion you can purchase a maximum of 45,000 points at a cost of $438.75, which is a rate of 0.975 cents per Wyndham Rewards point.
When Wyndham Rewards does offer a promotion on purchased points, we typically see a 30-40% bonus, while this time we’re seeing a 25% discount, so those deals are roughly comparable.
How to redeem Wyndham Rewards points
When it comes time to redeem Wyndham Rewards points, there are three tiers of hotels:
- About a third of properties cost 7,500 points per night
- A majority of properties cost 15,000 points per night
- A few hundred hotels cost 30,000 points per night
At a rate of 0.975 cents per acquired Wyndham point, that’s like paying:
- ~$73 for a night at an entry level property
- ~$146 for a night at a mid-range property
- ~$292 for a night at a premium property
I would guess cases where the math works out on buying points are few and far between, though there are always exceptions. Perhaps the best value would come in situations where you just need to buy a few thousand points to have enough for an award stay.
Which credit card should you buy Wyndham points with?
If you’d like to buy Wyndham Rewards points, note that purchases are processed by points.com, meaning they don’t count as a hotel purchase for the purposes of credit card spending.
Therefore I’d recommend using a card on which you’re trying to reach minimum spending, or otherwise, a credit card that maximizes your return on everyday spending.
Wyndham Rewards is offering a 25% discount on purchased points, which is an opportunity to buy points for under one cent each. While I most definitely wouldn’t speculatively buy Wyndham Rewards points points at this cost, maybe the math works out for some.
To those who are Wyndham Rewards fans, are there any properties you can get outsized value at with this promotion?