American Express has just rolled out a phenomenal new offer that can save you money when making purchases at small businesses over the coming weeks. Small businesses could certainly use some help right now, so I love the concept of this.
Save with Amex Shop Small promo
With this newly rolled out Amex Shop Small promotion:
- Save $5 when you make a $10+ purchase
- Use this promotion up to 10 times, for a total of $50 in savings
- Enroll by July 26, 2020, through the Amex Offers tab in your online Amex profile
- Make purchases through September 20, 2020
- Purchases at US business locations on the Amex Shop Small map or online directory qualify
- Each cardmember is limited to enrolling one card for this offer, so think carefully about which card you want to enroll (ideally one offering bonus points in the category you plan on spending in)
How do you access this offer?
This promotion is being offered through the Amex Offers program. For those of you not familiar with that, it’s a program available through most Amex cards, where different cards are eligible for different savings and bonus offers. In many cases, the offers can be huge, and more than offset the annual fee on a card.
In this case it seems like at least all personal credit and charge cards are eligible for the offer. To view Amex Offers, go to the bottom of the account summary page of any American Express card, where you’ll see all the offers you’re eligible for. This should appear as the first offer.
It’s fantastic to see Amex offering $5 back on each $10+ small business purchase, up to 10 times. Small businesses need support right now, and this is a great initiative to encourage that.
Back in the day Amex would have “Small Business Saturday,” where cardmembers could get statement credits for small business purchases once a year (on the Saturday after Thanksgiving). While Amex has continued the marketing around this, in the past few years they haven’t offered cardmembers any sort of statement credits.
Where will you spend money to earn your Amex small business statement credits?