Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Delta international upgrades
So I called Delta (I’m diamond) to enquire about using miles to upgrade or other options to Brazil as I’m out of systemwide upgrades.
1. They can no longer quote the miles necessary for the Brazil market unless the ticket is purchased and cannot disclose the best fare class to book – although I assume Y B M preferable.
2. There is an “Eplus (sic)” option – whereupon you get to purchase an upgrade if space is available using the app or kiosk at airport – as most know online check In is not often possible to international markets – with the new visa waiver for Brazil that may change – but they could not quote an amount.
3. 25 minutes on the phone and no solid nugget of information after talking to multiple parties.
4. What I don’t understand I go to GRU/GIG all the time – purchased biz fares and the loads miserable day before/day of travel often – but delta one cabin ends up full every time. Some definitely non revs – but are the op upping or are people accessing upgrades by other means?????
5. Delta Z fares (discounted biz), considered op up fares and not elible for am ex international airline program and you get quoted D fare or similar.
6. Cash is clearly king with Delta but can anyone make sense of international upgrades or the 3 dimensional chess game they are playing.
In Brazil, you mostly upgrade yourself by paying x times 100 USD banknotes to the agent at check-in, works with most local airlines, not sure about Delta though. Does not work for the return segment, unless it is a similar Latam country.