Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
AA Syd lax bIz In mid January
So I’m booked in economy with wait list for upgrade to business from Syd to lax. My cost was 875 plus 350$ plus 25k in miles.
I was also able to score a miles saver seat for 62k miles today for buz. I have this award seat on hold til Jan 4. My question is, should I cancel my award ticket and continue in the waitlist or cancel my economy ticket and use my award ticket? I was told I could get back about 500$ from my economy ticket. Currently, about 20/52 buz seats are taken. I have no status either to help my wait list position.
Sorry, I am having difficulty understanding how much you paid and how. Based on what you wrote, I’m assuming you paid $1225 + 25,000 miles, but I do not understand what mileage currency you redeemed, or if that is even what you paid. Also, I do not understand what waitlist you are currently on. A little clarification would be helpful.
[USER=1192]@Nolan Snoeyink[/USER] the OP has a Y ticket that they purchased for $875 and now have the option to upgrade to Business using 25k miles plus a $350 charge.
As to the original question, I would say that SYD-LAX is long enough that I would want to lock in a J seat if possible. There are plenty of stories about planes going out with empty J seats but upgrade space not opening up. The thing I am not sure about is how the cost of your requested upgrade would work–is the 350+25k miles already deducted from your account? If not, I would just with the award ticket and eat the 375 they will charge you before refunding money.