Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.
While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!
This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!
Australia self-isolation question
I am booked on reward tickets from USA to Australia (BNE), then, because the next flight after arrival is not until the next day, a separate itinerary onward to Papua New Guinea (POM) the next day. I am booked overnight in a hotel on the airport property at BNE, but not within the terminal.
Yesterday (Sunday, 15 March) Australia announced that all international arrivals in Australia must self-isolate for 14 days.
All such matters are certainly changing rapidly, but so far I have not been able to find any information on a situation like this – where transit time is long enough to leave the airport, but not long enough to satisfy the self-isolation requirements.
I imagine this effectively would bar me from entering Australia. Does anyone know how this actually works, or who to contact to find out?
Thanks in advance!
Hi Scott, I imagine you will have a lot of difficulty in both Papua New Guinea and Australia. You definitely will not be able to enter Australia, based on my understanding of the current rules. I also can’t tell for sure about transitting, but wouldn’t be surprised if you aren’t allowed.
Is your trip essential? If not, it may not be worth the hassle. As of now, it looks like PNG has no confirmed cases of COVID-19, so my guess is they are going to be extremely strict with entry requirements so that they can keep it that way.
Thanks for the reply. I know everything is changing quickly. I expect that it will have changed quite a bit more by the time I am scheduled (late May – June). My (current) plan is to wait to cancel until cancellation is compelled, or until it is clear that restrictions will extend to my dates.
Your understanding is the same as I had feared. The messaging isn’t crystal clear, but in all likelihood you have it right. Without some more favorable change, a cancellation looks highly likely.
The trip is personal, important, but not essential.
Ah, sorry. I somehow misread and thought you were travelling in the next few days.
Yep, hopefully things are somewhat back to normal by then!!