Earlier today I wrote about how WOW Air ceased operations effective immediately. This seemed to be long overdue.
Personally I also think they went about it in a classless way — they haven’t even updated their social channels to direct passengers to the notice, and the notice doesn’t issue any sort of apology or thank people for their business, but basically just says “tough luck.”
If you are someone impacted by the WOW Air situation, Icelandair is stepping in to help passengers. Specifically, Icelandair is offering $60 one-way fares to/from Europe, and $100 one-way fares to/from North America, not including taxes and fees. If you are traveling between North America and Europe via Iceland, you’re looking at a $160 one-way fare.
This deal is available only to stranded passengers, and there are some conditions to be aware of:
- This is only valid for passengers with return tickets booked on WOW Air between March 28 and April 11, 2019
- Passengers are told to fill out a form with information about their WOW Air flight (including name, e-ticket, etc.), and then are told to call Icelandair at 800-223-5500 to book
- These special fares are valid to the following destinations:
- In Europe: Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Copenhagen, Dublin, Frankfurt, Glasgow, Hamburg, Helsinki, London, Oslo, and Paris
- In the US & Canada: Boston, Edmonton, New York, Toronto, and Washington
This is a generous offer from Icelandair, given that WOW Air passengers are just about out of luck. With the number of ultra low cost transatlantic airlines decreasing, there are also fewer other reasonably priced last minute ticket options for getting across the Atlantic for those who are stranded.
However, even this won’t help everyone, since this is only valid for those who had return tickets booked, and not those who had one-way tickets.