Iberia Plus is celebrating their 25th anniversary, and they have a great promotion as a result. While we’ve seen some targeted Iberia Avios promotions in the past that offer discounts for select routes, this is the most widely available promotion I’ve seen from them yet.
Iberia is offering 25% off award tickets that are booked by April 11, 2017. There are a few further restrictions:
- Valid for travel through June 15, 2017, or for travel between October 1 and December 15, 2017
- Valid for travel exclusively on Iberia flights, though in all classes of service
- Only valid for travel on off-peak dates
As a reminder, here’s what Iberia’s off-peak award chart looks like:
Furthermore, the dates below not in red are the ones that are eligible for off-peak travel:
There are lots of awesome uses of this sale, though to give a few examples that are useful to travelers originating in the United States, the Iberia Avios program ordinarily charges:
- 17,000 Avios for economy or 34,000 Avios for business class for an itinerary covering 3,000-4,000 miles
- 21,250 Avios for economy or 42,500 Avios for business class for an itinerary covering 4,001-5,500 miles
So with the 25% discount, this means you can fly from between Madrid and Boston/Chicago/New York for just 25,500 Avios one-way in business class. Best of all, Iberia Plus doesn’t impose fuel surcharges for travel on Iberia.
I would say availability using this promotion is decent, though not great There’s a good amount of availability in the way off season (like November), but otherwise you’ll have to do quite some searching to find business class award space. Economy award space is a bit easier to come by.
As a reminder, British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus aren’t the same program, despite the fact that they both use Avios as their currency. So this promotion is only available through Iberia for travel on Iberia, and not through British Airways.
As Tiffany explained in a previous post, there are some things that make Iberia Avios unique, and fortunately they’re quite easy to accrue:
- You can transfer points from Amex Membership Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest
- You can transfer points between British Airways Executive Club and Iberia Plus, but only if both accounts have been open for at least 90 days, and both accounts have had some sort of activity
This is a very lucrative promotion on the part of Iberia. Booking a one-way transatlantic business class ticket for ~25,000 miles without fuel surcharges is tough to beat. If you can find availability that works for your dates, I’d highly recommend taking advantage of this offer. Iberia has a solid business class product as well.
Iberia business class dinner service
Anyone planning to book a 25% off Iberia award?