It’s always great to see when ride-sharing apps develop relationships with other travel providers. It’s a natural connection, given that frequent travelers probably use ride-sharing apps more than the average person.
The latest such partnership has just been announced.
You can now earn Hilton points for Lyft rides
Thanks to a new partnership, you can now earn Hilton Honors points for your Lyft rides.
With this new partnership, those who link their Hilton Honors and Lyft accounts at hiltonhonorslyft.com will automatically earn points whenever they take a Lyft ride. The earnings structure is as follows:
- Earn three Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft rides
- Earn two Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft shared rides
- You can earn points for up to $10,000 of Lyft spend per year
Hilton and Lyft say that later this year it will also be possible to redeem Hilton Honors points for Lyft credits, though I suspect that won’t be a great deal. Points should post within 24 hours of an eligible ride.
Personally, I value Hilton Honors points at ~0.5 cents each, so to me this is the equivalent of a 1.5% return on most Lyft rides and a 1% return on shared rides.
Other opportunities to earn points for Lyft rides
While this partnership represents the first of its kind between Lyft and a hotel group, this isn’t the first opportunity to earn loyalty points for Lyft rides, as Lyft also partners with two airlines:
- You can earn 2x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on US airport rides, and 1x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on all other US rides
- You can earn 30 JetBlue TrueBlue points per airport ride
What’s interesting is that there’s nothing in the terms restricting you from taking advantage of all of these partnerships, so you should be able to earn Delta miles and Hilton points from the same ride, for example.
Even looking at these partnerships independently, personally I think the Hilton one is the most well rounded, given that it’s not restricted to US rides, and given the earnings rates.
Best credit card for Lyft rides
When you’re paying for your Lyft rides, make sure you use a card offering bonus points on ride sharing or travel.
The best personal cards for this include:
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve® offers 3x points on travel
- The Citi Premier℠ Card offers 3x points on travel
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers 2x points on travel
- The World of Hyatt Credit Card offers 2x points on ride sharing
The best business cards for this include:
- The Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card offering 3x points on travel (on the first $150,000 in combined purchases every anniversary year)
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express offers 2x points on the first $50,000 spent every calendar year
I’m a big fan of the new partnership between Hilton and Lyft, which will be an opportunity to earn up to 30,000 Honors bonus points per year. On balance I think this is the best partnership that Lyft has with a loyalty program, so that’s awesome.
Do you plan on taking advantage of the new Hilton & Lyft partnership?