In May 2019, Hilton and Lyft launched a partnership. It’s always great to see when ride-sharing apps develop relationships with other travel providers. It’s a natural connection, given that frequent travelers probably use ride-sharing apps more than the average person.
At the moment there’s a special bonus for Hilton Honors members who link their accounts to Lyft and take their first ride, so I wanted to cover that in this post, along with the basics of this partnership.
Earning Hilton points for Lyft rides
With the Hilton & Lyft partnership, it’s possible to earn Hilton Honors points for your Lyft rides. Those who link their Hilton Honors and Lyft accounts at hiltonhonorslyft.com will automatically earn points whenever they take a Lyft ride in the US and Canada. The earnings structure is as follows:
- Earn three Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft rides
- Earn two Hilton Honors points per dollar spent on Lyft shared rides
- You can earn points for up to $10,000 of Lyft spend per year
Points should post within 24 hours of an eligible ride.
Personally, I value Hilton Honors points at ~0.5 cents each, so to me this is the equivalent of a 1.5% return on most Lyft rides and a 1% return on shared rides.
Limited time: earn up to 1,000 Honors points
Through the end of the year, those who haven’t yet used this partnership can earn up to 1,000 Honors points:
- Earn 250 Hilton Honors points when you link your Hilton Honors and Lyft account
- Earn 750 Hilton Honors points after your first ride
That’s a nice bonus, when you consider that it’s in addition to your normal points earning opportunities with Lyft. This could be especially useful if you’re like me and made the switch from Uber to Lyft in recent months, due to the Lyft Pink membership offered with the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Redeeming Hilton points for Lyft rides
In addition to being able to earn Hilton Honors points for Lyft rides, you can also redeem Hilton Honors points for Lyft rides.
The bad news is that it’s not a good deal… at all. You can redeem Honors points for Lyft credits in certain denominations, and no matter which one you choose, you’re paying about 4.5 Honors points per cent of Lyft credit.
That means you’re getting ~0.22 cents of value per Hilton point using this method, which is a bit less than half of my valuation of Hilton points. So I wouldn’t recommend redeeming this way.
Other opportunities to earn points with Lyft
While the partnership between Hilton Honors and Lyft is the first of its kind with a hotel group, Lyft has some other partnerships as well.
For example, you can earn 2x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on US airport rides, and 1x Delta SkyMiles per dollar on all other US rides.
What’s interesting is that there’s nothing in the terms restricting you from taking advantage of multiple partnerships, so you should be able to earn Delta miles and Hilton points from the same ride, for example.
Best credit cards for Lyft rides
When you’re paying for your Lyft rides, make sure you use a card offering bonus points on ride sharing or travel.
The best personal cards for this include:
- The Chase Sapphire Reserve® (review) offers 3x points on travel
- The American Express® Green Card (review) offers 3x points on travel
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (review) offers 2x points on travel
- The World of Hyatt Credit Card (review) offers 2x points on ride-sharing
The best business cards for this include:
- The Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card (review) offers 3x points on travel (on the first $150,000 in combined purchases every anniversary year)
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (review) offers 2x points on the first $50,000 spent every calendar year and then 1x
Personally I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve due to the Lyft Pink membership that’s offered, which saves 15% on rides, and more.
It’s always great when you can earn bonus points for things you might do anyway, which is why these partnerships are so great. While I would never redeem Hilton Honors points for Lyft rides, I absolutely enjoy earning points for these rides.
If you haven’t yet taken advantage of this partnership, at the moment you can even earn up to 1,000 bonus points for linking your accounts and taking your first ride.
Have you used the Lyft & Hilton partnership yet?