Last week Hilton HHonors revealed the details of their next promotion, which is essentially an extension of the other global promotions they’ve offered in 2016.
Hilton HHonors will continue to offer double base points for stays between September 1 and December 31, 2016. All hotels are participating, and there’s no minimum stay requirement.
The reason for this post is that registration is now open for Hilton’s Double Up promotion. Registration is required prior to check-out of your first eligible stay in order to earn bonus points for all stays. Bonus points should post withins six to eight weeks of an eligible stay.
Here are FAQs regarding the promotion, along with the full terms & conditions:
* Offer valid September 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016 (“Promotion Period”) at any hotel or resort within the Hilton Portfolio. Hilton HHonors™ members must first register at HHonors.com/DoubleUp prior to completing a stay within the Promotion Period. Registered Hilton HHonors members will only receive Bonus Points for nights completed during the Promotion Period, regardless of a check-in date before the Promotion Period begins or a check-out date after the Promotion Period ends. Registered Hilton HHonors members will earn Double HHonors Bonus Points per stay during the Promotion Period. “Double Points” means you will receive a bonus equal to the number of Base Points earned during a stay. There is no limit to the total amount of Bonus Points that may be earned during the Promotion Period with this offer. However, there are restrictions on the amount of Base Points that can be earned on a single stay at certain brands. See HHonors Terms & Conditions for more details. Bonus Points earned on Base Points do not count toward tier qualification. Please allow six to eight weeks from completion of your stay for points to appear in your Hilton HHonors account.
How valuable is Hilton’s Double Up promotion?
I value Hilton points at ~0.4 cents each, so to me this is like an additional return of ~4% on my hotel spend. That’s not a reason to switch stays to Hilton (at least for someone who’s crunching the numbers), but at the same time it’s probably enough to keep people from switching stays to other hotel groups.
As I’ve said before, Hilton does offer a very good return on everyday spend for hotel stays. If you’re a Diamond member with the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card you’d earn an average of 42 points per dollar spent with Hilton:
- 10 base points per dollar spent
- 5 additional points per dollar spent for choosing Points & Points
- 10 bonus points per dollar spent through this promotion
- 5 bonus points per dollar spent if a Diamond member
- 12 points per dollar spent on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card
Hilton’s promotion is valid for stays starting tomorrow, and registration is now open, so I’d recommend registering ASAP. While this promotion isn’t a reason to switch any stays to Hilton, in my opinion, it’s a nice bonus if you’ll stay with them anyway.