IHG recently revamped its loyalty program, with the introduction of IHG One Rewards. These changes are overwhelmingly positive, and I’d consider the program to be more compelling than ever before. IHG has now launched a generous status match challenge for the new program, which I imagine will interest many.
IHG One Rewards status challenge basics
IHG One Rewards has a new status match challenge program, available to members of a competing program (you don’t even need to have status). This promotion offers Platinum status up front, and then allowing you to maintain Platinum status or upgrade to Diamond status depending on how many nights you stay within 120 days of registration:
- If you stay five nights within 120 days of registration, you keep Platinum status through December 2023
- If you stay 15 nights within 120 days of registration, you receive Diamond status through December 2023
As of now, registration for this promotion is available through July 31, 2022, so you’ll want to time your registration based on when you plan on completing stays. This promotion is available to members globally, except those in Greater China.
For the purposes of this offer, a qualifying stay is one booked directly with IHG where a member is paying cash and the rate exceeds $30 per night.
How to request an IHG One Rewards status challenge
To request an IHG One Rewards status challenge, go to the promotion page. On the promotion page, go to the section that lists competing loyalty programs, and then select both the program that you’re matching from, and the status that you have (if any). The registration process is quite simple from there.
What’s really interesting here is that you don’t actually need to have status with a competitor. Rather any membership will be “matched,” meaning anyone (outside of Greater China) can take advantage of this and get Platinum status for at least 120 days. That’s pretty generous.
Is this IHG One Rewards status challenge worth it?
For some context on what’s normally required to earn IHG One Rewards Platinum and Diamond status:
- IHG Platinum status requires 40 elite nights or 60,000 qualifying points per year, and offers a 60% points bonus; you can also get this simply by having the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card (review) or IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card (review)
- IHG Diamond status requires 70 elite nights or 120,000 qualifying points per year, and offers a 100% points bonus; you can get this by spending $40,000 per year on either the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card or IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
A few thoughts:
- Being able to get IHG Platinum status for 120 days without having status in another program is a great opportunity, assuming you don’t have an IHG credit card that offers that
- Needing just 15 nights for Diamond status could be worth it, given that Diamond status offers improved perks, like breakfast
- One thing to keep in mind is that the most value with status comes from Milestone Rewards, and those are unlocked based on how many nights you stay, so you’d only earn suite upgrades and club lounge access at the “regular” rate with this status challenge
IHG One Rewards has launched its first publicly available status challenge, and it’s pretty lucrative. You can receive Platinum status for 120 days just for enrolling in the offer. Then if you complete at least five nights during the promotion period, you can maintain that status all the way through December 2023. Meanwhile if you complete 15 nights during the promotion period, you get Diamond status.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this IHG status challenge offer?