In 2022, IHG revamped its loyalty program, with the introduction of IHG One Rewards. These changes were overwhelmingly positive, and I’d consider the program to be more compelling than ever before.
For those interested in earning elite status, IHG One Rewards is introducing a new status fast track promotion. The good news is that this opportunity is even open to those who don’t have status with a competing program, though unfortunately there’s no way to earn Diamond status with this offer.
In this post:
IHG One Rewards status challenge basics
IHG One Rewards is introducing a status challenge program, with no requirement to have elite status with a competitor. Members who register have the opportunity to earn either Gold or Platinum status based on how many nights they stay within 90 days:
- If you stay two nights during the offer period, you earn Gold status through December 2024
- If you stay five nights during the offer period, you earn Platinum status through December 2024
This promotion is open for registration between February 1 and April 30, 2023, and then you’ll have 90 days from when you register to complete the stays. So you’ll want to put some thought into when you register. Registration is required prior to check-in of your first qualifying stay, though it’s fine if you booked your stay prior to registering.
For the purposes of this offer, a qualifying stay is one booked directly with IHG where a member is paying cash and the rate exceeds $30 per night.
Is this IHG One Rewards status challenge worth it?
For some context on what’s normally required to earn IHG One Rewards Gold and Platinum status:
- IHG Gold status requires 20 elite nights or 40,000 qualifying points per year, and offers a 40% points bonus
- IHG Platinum status requires 40 elite nights or 60,000 qualifying points per year, and offers a 60% points bonus; you can also get this simply by having the IHG One Rewards Premier Credit Card (review) or IHG One Rewards Premier Business Credit Card (review), or by enrolling in the InterContinental Ambassador program
A couple of thoughts:
- IHG Platinum status is easy to earn in the United States with co-branded credit cards, but for those outside the United States, this is a pretty good opportunity
- One thing to keep in mind is that the most value with status comes from Milestone Rewards, and those are unlocked based on how many nights you stay, so you’d only earn suite upgrades and club lounge access at the “regular” rate with this status challenge
IHG One Rewards is introducing a new publicly available status challenge. If you register and then stay two or five nights within a 90 day period, you can earn IHG Gold or Platinum status through December 2024. It’s not the most generous offer we’ve ever seen, but it’s better than nothing. It’s also nice that status is potentially valid for nearly two years.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this IHG status challenge offer?