Etihad Guest can be a useful frequent flyer program. Etihad Guest miles can be easy to earn with transferrable points programs like Amex Membership Rewards, Citi ThankYou, and Capital One. We even sometimes see transfer bonuses when transferring those points to Etihad.
On top of that, Etihad Guest has some hotel transfer partners, where you can convert hotel points into Etihad miles. At the moment that deal is even better than usual.
Etihad Guest is offering a 20% bonus when you convert hotel points and select banking points into Etihad Guest miles during the month of April.
The following hotel partners are eligible for this promotion:
- Hilton Honors — points transfer at a 10:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 10,000 points
- IHG Rewards Club — points transfer at a 5:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 10,000 points
- Le Club Accor Hotels — points transfer at a 2:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 4,000 points
- Marriott Bonvoy — points transfer at a 3:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 3,000 points
- Radisson Rewards — points transfer at a 10:1 ratio
- Shangri-La Golden Circle — points transfer at a 1:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 2,500 points
- World of Hyatt — points transfer at a 2.5:1 ratio, and you have to transfer at least 5,000 points
There are also some banking partners, but none of the major partners that most of you are probably familiar with, unfortunately (and none are available in the US).
The terms state that bonus miles should post within 15 days of the end of the promotion.
Generally converting hotel points into airline miles doesn’t represent a great deal, though the one major exception is Marriott Bonvoy. You can convert Marriott Bonvoy points into airline miles at a 3:1 ratio, and you get a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 points transferred.
In other words, 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points would ordinarily convert into 25,000 Etihad Guest miles, and then during this promotion you’d get a further 20% bonus, for a total of 30,000 Etihad miles. That means you’re earning one Etihad mile for every two Marriott Bonvoy points, which some may consider to be a good deal.
This promotion could be worth considering, either if you’re trying to top off an account for a redemption, or if you have a specific “sweet spot” redemption in mind (like a one-way Royal Air Maroc business class ticket to just about anywhere for 44,000 miles).
Note that there have been major issues with transferring both Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou points to Etihad lately, so I’m not sure what exactly is going on. Hopefully the same problem doesn’t exist with hotel points transfers (it would be ironic if these issues existed the same time they were having these issues).
Anyone plan to take advantage of this Etihad transfer bonus?