Thanks to a new collaboration, Air Canada Aeroplan elite members and select co-branded credit card members can enjoy complimentary elite status with Avis. This is potentially a good opportunity.
Avis matching Aeroplan elite status
Aeroplan elite members and Aeroplan premium co-branded credit card members can request a complimentary status upgrade in the Avis Preferred program. Members must first enroll in Avis Preferred to be eligible, and it can take up to seven days for status to be reflected. The status will be valid through the end of the year after which it’s awarded (so requests made in 2022 will be valid through December 31, 2023).
The following Aeroplan members can be upgraded to Avis Preferred Plus elite status:
- Aeroplan 25K members
- Aeroplan 35K members
- Aeroplan 50K members
The following Aeroplan members can be upgraded to Avis President’s Club elite status:
- Aeroplan 75K members
- Aeroplan Super Elite members
- Aeroplan premium credit card members; you can find eligible cards here, though unfortunately the Aeroplan® Credit Card (review) issued in the United States doesn’t qualify (however, you do earn status the first year with the card, so you’d get Avis Preferred Plus)
What are the perks of having elite status with Avis?
- Avis Preferred Plus benefits include a complimentary one-car-class upgrade whenever available, a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support, and the ability to go straight to your car at most locations; this status ordinarily requires $5,000 of spending or 12 rentals per year
- Avis President’s Club benefits include complimentary two-car-class upgrade whenever available, a dedicated reservations and customer service line, and guaranteed car with a 24-hour advance reservation; this status is ordinarily invitation-only
This is a solid rental car opportunity
There’s huge value to having rental car elite status, as it makes the rental experience significantly less miserable. Frankly any status that lets you pick your car from the lot and go, rather than having to wait in a line and full out more paperwork than a mortgage, is awesome.
The good thing is that you don’t actually have to be loyal to a rental car agency to get status, as there are all kinds of easy status match opportunities through airlines and credit card companies. For example:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express (review) offers Avis Preferred Plus status and National Emerald Club Executive status
- The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (review) offers Avis Preferred Plus status, Hertz President’s Circle status, and National Emerald Club Executive status
Ultimately Aeroplan is offering one of the easiest pathways to Avis President’s Club status, and that’s good. While I prefer National to Avis and Hertz, I usually go with whatever the cheapest company is that I have status with, since I don’t find there’s that much differentiation between different rental agencies.
Aeroplan elite members and credit card holders can receive elite status in the Avis Preferred program. Matches are available to Avis Preferred Plus or Avis President’s Club, depending on your situation with Aeroplan. If you are engaged in the Aeroplan program and could benefit from this partnership, be sure to request your match.
Will you take advantage of this Aeroplan and Avis partnership?