Alaska Mileage Plan is one of my all around favorite frequent flyer programs. Right now there’s a bonus of up to 5,000 miles for new members, which is pretty rare, as I don’t remember the last time we saw such a bonus from the program.
Earn up to 5,000 bonus Alaska miles
New Alaska Mileage Plan members can earn up to 5,000 bonus miles after qualifying flights. Specifically, members can earn 2,500 bonus miles after one roundtrip, and another 2,500 bonus miles after a second roundtrip:
- Registration is required by December 31, 2020
- This is valid for travel through February 28, 2021
- Mileage Plan members receive 2,500 bonus miles after completing two qualifying flight segments, and another 2,500 bonus miles after completing another two qualifying flight segments
- To qualify, the member must have miles credited to their Mileage Plan account for flights on Alaska Airlines; codeshare and partner flights don’t qualify
Is this deal worth it?
I don’t recall Alaska Mileage Plan offering many bonuses for new members, so this is definitely rare. That being said, it’s not like you’re getting miles for nothing here — you need to actually fly.
If you do have plans to fly on Alaska Airlines in the coming months then this deal is absolutely worth it. Mileage Plan miles are extremely useful, especially for redemptions on partner airlines. Personally I value Alaska miles at ~1.8 cents each, so 2,500 bonus miles per roundtrip equates to around $45 worth of “value.”
Alaska Airlines is also joining the oneworld alliance in March 2021, which should open up lots of great new opportunities for redeeming Mileage Plan miles (though it’s also possible some existing redemptions will be devalued).
Admittedly we’ve seen more generous new member bonuses out there with other programs, but they’ve also generally been from programs that aren’t quite as valuable as Mileage Plan. For example, there are two other promotions currently available, in both cases without any flying required:
- Aegean Miles+Bonus is offering 5,000 bonus miles to new members
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club is offering 2,500 bonus miles to new members
Earn 2,500 bonus miles per trip on Alaska
Alaska Mileage Plan is offering up to 5,000 bonus miles to new members who register with the current promotion. You can earn 2,500 bonus miles after one roundtrip, and another 2,500 bonus miles after a second roundtrip. Personally I consider that to be “worth” an incremental $45 per trip.
While this won’t be useful to everyone, this is the best bonus I recall seeing for new members for the Mileage Plan program in quite a while.
Are there any non-Mileage Plan members who will be able to take advantage of this?
(Tip of the hat to View from the Wing)