Update: These offers for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® and the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® have expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Citi is offering increased welcome bonuses on their co-branded AAdvantage credit cards for a limited time. For the personal version of the card we’re seeing the return of the best ever welcome bonus, for the business version of the card we’re seeing a new bonus that’s higher than ever before. Here are the details of the offers:
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months; $99 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months
- The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 70,000 AAdvantage miles after making $4,000 of purchases within the first four months; $99 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months
These are both fantastic welcome bonuses that combined would earn you 130,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, which is huge. Best of all, the annual fees are even waived for the first year.
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Cards
If you fly American once in a while, both of these cards also come with some useful benefits, including the following:
- Preferred boarding on domestic American flights
- First checked bag free on domestic itineraries for you and up to four companions on the same reservation
- My favorite perk is that the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card offers a 10% refund on miles redeemed, for a total of up to 10,000 miles per year (assuming you redeem at least 100,000 miles per year, this means you’re getting 10,000 American miles with the card annually, which makes this card a keeper, in my opinion)
Get a 10% refund on redeemed miles, up to 10,000 miles per year
Qualifying for the bonuses on these cards
It’s possible to earn the sign-up bonus on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and the Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card. However, keep in mind that you can’t apply for both on the same day. Citi’s general policy on new card applications is as follows:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
So you could apply for one of the cards now, and then the other one in eight days, assuming you haven’t applied for another Citi card in the past ~65 days.
Also, anecdotally I’ve found these cards to be pretty easy to be approved for, so for most it shouldn’t be too difficult to get approved.
Specific to these cards, here’s what the terms say as far as eligibility goes:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
This card is not available if the business already has a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® card. Bonus miles are not available if you have had any CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
In other words, if you’ve had the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® opened or closed in the past 24 months then you wouldn’t be eligible for the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card, but you would be eligible for the Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card. If you have the Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard® and have had it open for more than 24 months, then you’d be eligible as well.
The limited time welcome bonuses on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card are worth going for if you don’t yet have either or both of these cards, in my opinion.
The welcome bonus on the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card is in line with the best bonuses we’ve ever seen on the card, and is a phenomenal value when you consider that the first year’s annual fee is even waived.
Meanwhile the Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card has its best ever welcome bonus. Earning 70,000 miles upon completing minimum spend is a huge bonus, and the annual fee on the card is waived for the first year as well.
Personally I value AAdvantage miles at 1.3 cents each, so that means I value the personal and business offers at $780 and $910, respectively.