Questions and Answers

Have a travel related question? Post it here, and I’ll do my best to answer it as quickly as possible.

While anyone can comment on regular blog post, registration is required in order to post a question in this space. Creating your account is free, and you'll be able to see when your question is answered, as well as like comments from other users. And of course, you'll earn status points for offering helpful answers!

This space is intended to be more of a community as well, so please jump in and share tips!

Filter by:

How do Airlines Rank Passengers


Hotels and families


Global Entry Renewal – Applicaton -> New Card = 7 Days


UA first responder discount?


Alitalia shutting down – now what?


Digital nomading


New Qatar Transit Policy?


USA Accept Antigen Test For Re-Entry


Contacts requested, if possible, to launch a complaint.


European interstates travelling from the US?


Ask a Question

Everyone can read and comment, but you must login to post a new comment.

Answers (4)

Traveling between USA and Canada as a dual citizen

Traveling between USA and Canada as a dual citizen

  1. GBOAC

    I’m a dual US Canadian citizen who travels occasionally between the US and Canada. I have always used my US passport for all such travel. Since I’ve experienced a couple of long waits at immigration in Vancouver, I’m wondering whether I could enter as a returning Canadian.

    I’m hoping there are some fellow readers that are in the same situation and can answer some of the following questions.
    Can you enter the country as a Canadian citizen and leave as a US citizen as I would want to use my American passport in the GOES kiosks at the Canadian airport if available.
    If so what documents would I need — I don’t have a Canadian passport but I do have a citizenship card.
    How would you enter the Canadian documents so they don’t override the US passport documentation?

    Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight/guidance

  2. MidSouthSkier

    I assume you also have a Nexus card and still have the long waits? I would think you’d need a Canadian passport to enter as a Canadian but I’m not positive.

  3. Donna

    You would need a Canadian Passport to enter Canada if you transit by air. Otherwise, you will have to show your USA passport. And yes, you can enter Canada with a Canadian Passport and return to the USA on your American Passport.

  4. Daniel B

    For about 15 years now I have been using my US and an EU passport when travelling the world. Depending on the length of the passport control queue (line), I either use the EU passport or the US one. Always come back to the US on the US passport though. They will know that you have two passports. Once when we went through US Customs at Dublin airport, the US ICE agent asked me whether I had another passport. I said yes, but he did not ask me what type. He knew I had another passport because I entered Italy using my EU passport but not the US one, and was trying to leave Ireland using the US passport. Four years ago I asked German, Hungarian, Austrian immigration officials whether there are laws as to which passport I should use. They all told me NO, as long as my passport is valid, they do not care.

Sign in to help answer questions.